Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Need help identifying this printer and X-axis Carriage

Posted by MiniDNDPrinter 
Need help identifying this printer and X-axis Carriage
December 31, 2018 10:58PM
I'm looking for a specific STL file for a part to replace on my RepRap, and I was hoping someone would be able to recognise the build type and point me in the right direction.

Last year I bought a small RepRap printer second hand as a way to try 3D printing for the first time. I have found it's worked great and have learned a lot but one of the printed parts has cracked and I need to print a replacement so I can get back up and running again. My problem is that I can't work out what kind of printer I have or find the set of files for it. The person who sold me the printer (the original builder) was very helpful when I bought it but I can't contact them anymore, so I don't know what files they used originally. I had assumed that it was some kind of iprusa but when I began looking at those files I realised this wasn't the case. I'd appreciate any help in determining what type of printer this is and what STL file I need, as the design of the part seems quite different to any I've been able to find.

The broken part is the X-axis carriage that the extruder mounts onto. you can probably see the crack in the pictures below. I've included pictures of the part, and the printer itself. There's also a logo printed on most of the parts, which I assume is a clue to the type of printer, but I haven't been able to identify it.

This is the X-axis Carriage part that needs replacing:

This is the Printer itself:

This is the mount style for the extruder:

You can see that symbol pretty clearly on that last image, here's another example of it:

The X-axis rods are 8mm and they are 35mm between centres. The carriage is 50 mm wide and about 73m tall on those flanges.

Thanks for any help in advance.
Attachments:
open | download - IMG_3211.JPG (570.2 KB)
Re: Need help identifying this printer and X-axis Carriage
January 01, 2019 12:43AM
why you wouldnt design an improvement is beyond me, what do the wings do?
January 01, 2019 01:22AM
An improvement might be in store in the future, but for now I just want to have it up and running again. An even then, I'd want the original files to build onto and modify.
The wings have the holes that bolt the extruder mount.
January 01, 2019 01:28AM
Looks like your house is cracked too smiling smiley

It is a Prusa clone, an hybrid born from the union of an Ikea furniture and a roll of cheap filament.
Plenty of carriage published on Thingiverse, the simpler the least bad. Just check for the same distance between smooth rods.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/01/2019 01:35AM by MKSA.

"A comical prototype doesn't mean a dumb idea is possible" (Thunderf00t)
January 01, 2019 03:13AM
Yes, I've looked what seems like endlessly on thingiverse but can't find one similar. I figured someone here on the forum might recognise what it is.
January 02, 2019 10:28AM
If you just need to get it working again... Use a soldering iron and some scrap filament.

The soldering iron gets pretty hot, so you'll want to be careful not to let it burn things, but it's not too hard to get cracked 3D printed items to hold together using a soldering iron, and you can melt scrap filament to reinforce the seam without a lot of problems. It's not without risk, you can REALLY screw up the part, but you should be able to make the part serviceable -- at least long enough to print a couple of replacements for it.

For a direct replacement, you have the important parts, you know the distance between smooth rod centres, it looks like the belt is centered between them. Lots of good information around here on clamping the belts.

MBot3D Printer
MakerBot clone Kit from Amazon
Added heated bed.

Leadscrew self-built printer (in progress)
Duet Wifi, Precision Piezo parts
January 02, 2019 04:08PM
That looks like a pure
DIY design with ---- wood, MDF and plastic corners

I don't think the logo means much

fire up SketchUp, OpenScad, Fusion 360
and do your own

confused smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login