Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Which firmware versions to use?

Posted by RJ120413 
Which firmware versions to use?
January 02, 2019 09:59PM
Good Evening All, I have a RepRap Guru purchased from a friend that bought cerca 2015. It is a DIY build that my friend never completed. Over Xmas break, I completed the build and tried to determine which firmware versions are needed with the Mega 2560 board and believe to be Ramps 1.3 board. I can complete the configuration on some versions without issue, but the board isn't recognized by my computer or says I can't access the board. The device Manger shows the Arduino 2560 in COM3. Some forum strings talk about using Arduino 0023 which isn't available.
My computer is a Windows 10 and I tried everything from updating windows, removing and reinstalling in device manager, and trying a few different versions of Arduino and Marlin firmware. All without success.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.
Re: Which firmware versions to use?
January 02, 2019 10:36PM
The board is always recognized as a serial device in your operating system nothing more, its not like a ink printer.

When you upload marlin you first have to configure it by editing Configuration.h, then compile and upload it to the controller.

A common trap for new users is to change to the serial port in the Configuration.h to match what they see in their PC. Do not change this from 0, as this is the serial port on the mega, nothing to do with with Pc. The second most common issue is is baud rate. What ever your trying to use to talk to the printer needs the same baud rate as what you set in Configuration.h
The main thing you have to get right is the motherboard settings. Without this the firmware doesnt know what pin does what. Set yours to BOARD_RAMPS_13_EFB

To start off I would use pronterface to connect to your printer. It doesn't try and hide everything from you like most other control software.

Once your sure things are working as they should you can switch to programs like cura that hide all the internal stuff.

The people talking about "Arduino 0023" are out of date... this is a misguided approach to compiling very old versions of marlin.

For a ramps type system Marlin firmware is the most configurable, and best supported firmware. There is also Repetier-Firmware, not as well supported.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/02/2019 10:40PM by Dust.
January 03, 2019 12:40PM
Thanks Dust. My question still remains. Should I be using 1.8.8 and Marlin 1.9 or is there a combination of earlier versions that will work? Are there different drivers preventing the windows from configuring properly? The module shows up in my com port and not serial port but I have the configuration set to 0. Again, thanks.
January 03, 2019 01:15PM
If it's an Arduino(clone or otherwise) and a RAMPS board, you might as well use the newest Marlin firmware for it that you can get. For that firmware version, get the newest Arduino IDE. You may need an older IDE for older firmware versions, which can be problematic. Using the latest stable version of the IDE and Marlin firmware is the best bet to get it to compile and upload successfully.

MBot3D Printer
MakerBot clone Kit from Amazon
Added heated bed.

Leadscrew self-built printer (in progress)
Duet Wifi, Precision Piezo parts
January 03, 2019 03:10PM
I'd try the latest that you listed.

You will need to determine steps/mm, and all those things.
Set the basics then tune your steppers for current, then do a final cal on the steps.

You can get more help with marlin 1.7-1.9.

I have noticed one quirk with 1.9 you have to specifically tell it that you want to raise the z axis after homing. Its a new setting.
Kinda wierd, I only saw this on a blank mega board (never programmed before).

My daily usage board didnt show this behavior, almost like it was a eeprom setting saved. Maybe it was implicit in previous versions(1.8 or 1.7)?
January 03, 2019 07:42PM
Regarding drivers...

You need the appropriate drivers for the serial to usb chip on your mega

There are at least 3 options

ftdi chip [www.ftdichip.com]
ch340 chip [sparks.gogo.co.nz]
ATmega16U2 chip The driver is installed when you install the Arduino Software (IDE)

Which you need depends on which chip is on your mega.

You can just install all 3 drivers without issues. Just wastes a little disk space.
January 03, 2019 10:06PM
Compiling isn't an issue, but get avrdude: ser_open(): can't open device "\\.\COM3": Access is denied.

I have tried updating windows, downloading drivers, and changing com ports without success. I see some forums where the reset button is used, but even that hasn't gotten me past the Access id denied. I believe the chip is the 16AU. Serial COM is 0. MY COM Port on the computer is 3.

Again, Thank You for your insight.
January 03, 2019 10:30PM
with your mega plugged in, please post a image of your device manager with the ports section open

If you right click and select properties on USB serial device com3 does its say Device status: "This device is working properly" ?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/03/2019 10:31PM by Dust.
January 04, 2019 01:30PM
Here you go, try the easy stuff first.

Arduino com3 access denied troubleshooting

Check the USb chip on your board, in the thread above someone points yet another Ch chip, a CH341.

good luck.
January 04, 2019 07:43PM
Here is a screen shot. What baud rate should I be using? The chip is ATmega16U2.
Attachments:
open | download - Untitled.jpg (130.8 KB)
January 04, 2019 08:23PM
Driver looks ok. Baud rate is set in host software

What host software are you using?
January 04, 2019 08:38PM
Marlin 1.1.9.
January 04, 2019 09:02PM
Host software is the software you using to talk to and control the printer

Marlin is the firmware on the controller.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/04/2019 09:11PM by Dust.
January 04, 2019 09:40PM
I haven’t got that far. The Arduino is 1.8.7 and I have repeater but haven’t done anything with that?
January 04, 2019 09:57PM
Ok there is some confusion here...

What is saying can't connect?

The arduino IDE?

Can we get a picture of the error?
January 04, 2019 10:21PM
THE message shows:
Arduino: 1.8.7 (Windows 10), Board: "Arduino/Genuino Mega or Mega 2560, ATmega2560 (Mega 2560)"

Sketch uses 56912 bytes (22%) of program storage space. Maximum is 253952 bytes.
Global variables use 2544 bytes (31%) of dynamic memory, leaving 5648 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 8192 bytes.
avrdude: ser_open(): can't open device "\\.\COM3": Access is denied.

avrdude: ser_drain(): read error: The handle is invalid.

avrdude: ser_send(): write error: sorry no info avail
avrdude: stk500_send(): failed to send command to serial port
avrdude: ser_recv(): read error: The handle is invalid.

avrdude: stk500v2_ReceiveMessage(): timeout

the selected serial port
does not exist or your board is not connected

avrdude: stk500v2_getsync(): timeout communicating with programmer

This report would have more information with
"Show verbose output during compilation"
option enabled in File -> Preferences.
Attachments:
open | download - Untitled1.jpg (198.6 KB)
January 04, 2019 11:49PM
Ok.. that is some sort of windows issue... "avrdude: ser_open(): can't open device "\\.\COM3": Access is denied." and after that it all falls apart.

try running arduino as administrator... perhaps your user is blocked from using the com ports.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/04/2019 11:51PM by Dust.
January 06, 2019 02:42PM
Good Call Dust. Ran as administrator and now moving forward
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login