Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

is carbon-fiber sheeting/bars suitable for a printer?

Posted by shadowphile 
is carbon-fiber sheeting/bars suitable for a printer?
January 07, 2019 08:04PM
I'm designing V4 of my delta and while I was researching 7075 alum properties I suddenly realized I could probably afford to use CF instead.
Search didn't find anything useful.
Does anybody have experience building non-rod structures with CF? I know it can have serious directional strength characteristics but of course I would be using some kind of laminate.
VDX
Re: is carbon-fiber sheeting/bars suitable for a printer?
January 07, 2019 08:17PM
... you can laminate any form - we did planes with GF and resin some 30 years ago, what's even easier wit CF.

A common methode is to mill or carve the inner form from foam and laminate it ... another is to 3D-print two halfs of the negative form, laminate, cut and glue them together - then you can "embedd" wires or structurals elements inside ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
January 07, 2019 09:12PM
Ideally you would use a material with good vibration absorption qualities. Usually the denser the better
Carbon fiber composites hav great stiffness and great strength to weight ratio but sadly fare not so well when tasked with absorbing vibration, particularly because of the missing weight.
The best metal for the job would be magnesium. It has some crazy vibration absorption properties, and is even very light.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/2019 09:14PM by NitroFreak.
January 08, 2019 06:35PM
@VDX: I'm not sure what you are talking about. I was specifically referring to the use of flat CF laminate (one piece) as my delta effector base.
@NitroFreak: I have not had to think much about which metals will vibrate longer than others except for deliberately resonant devices with high 'Q'. In this case, I would think a simple plate with all the attachments would only vibrate at very high rates and small amplitudes. The belts would absorb lower frequency oscillations. But would a flat piece of laminate stand up to the forces of high-speed movement of an effector? (example material carbon fiber plating. It's multiple ply (I think) so it should be strong in all directions, right?
VDX
January 08, 2019 07:32PM
... I was referring to your "Does anybody have experience building non-rod structures with CF?" ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
January 08, 2019 07:38PM
Thanks, I understand you.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login