Looking for a US distributor of Hylite composite panels
January 09, 2019 06:38PM
Every single one from google search is in Europe sad smiley
thanks

(a competitive product is acceptible)
Re: Looking for a US distributor of Hylite composite panels
January 10, 2019 05:22AM
Hi Shadowphile !
I don't know if Hylite is even distributed in U.S., and I think there is no competitive products with PP core.
Hylite is distributed in Europe by 3A Composites.
For small cut-to-size panels, you can ask www.modulor.de, in Berlin.

I'm very interested by what you want to do with it !
January 10, 2019 03:32PM
Hi M_Xeno. If I recall correctly, you are the designer of the Hylite-based super-fast printer, which is pretty cool btw. (I can never remember that Z word).
I have a custom delta and designing the fourth version, which is focused on speed so dropping the weight everywhere I can find.
The steel balls and weight of mag-ball rods are starting to dominate the moving weights and I thought about alternatives and remembered your machine.
So I'm frankly stealing your joints! Still using CF rods but your two-axis folding rod ends would seem to work, if you get the rod axially centered on the intersection of the two folds (otherwise the rods start throwing themselves around based on the position of the effector). Whether they would stand up to long, hard use is unknown, especially in a system not as light as yours.I'm also moving up (finally!) to a dual-extruder effector so getting the weight down is even more important.
Without the Hylite I'm thinking of attempting to print a nylon joint. I have moved to CNC-everything in my designs so reluctant to fuss around with manual constructions; that could easily throw off my accuracies.
January 12, 2019 06:14AM
www.zatsit.fr

Combining carbon rods with Hylite hinges is a false good idea: the fastening to assemble the two technologies will result in the loss of the major advantage of dimensional accuracy, which, in Zatsit, results from the fact that all critical dimensions are defined at once, by CNC cutting, with its accuracy.

I encourage experiments in Hylite, but if it's to make a 3D delta printer with the advantages of Hylite hinges, frankly, the easiest, safest, and cheapest way is to buy a Zatsit mechanical kit for 300€... Believe me, it's not shameless promotion, it's just true... ;-)

As for printing a delta mechanism in Nylon, I do not recommend it because of the low bending endurance. The joints will eventually break.

Only polypropylene (PP) has the miraculous property of resisting bending indefinitely, due to its molecular arrangement. Indeed, a small delta mechanism could be 3D-printed, at once, but only in PP!

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2019 06:19AM by M_Xeno.
January 13, 2019 05:08AM
shadowphile
..(I can never remember that Z word).

Just remember "that is it" pronounced the french way Zatsit smiling smiley
If I was planning Delta it would be the way I would go. All Hylite, that is it !

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2019 05:08AM by MKSA.

"A comical prototype doesn't mean a dumb idea is possible" (Thunderf00t)
February 23, 2019 01:23PM
They call it Dibond in the US, [graphicdisplayusa.com]
They use it in sign making
February 25, 2019 03:05AM
@NforcerOH

No, no! Dibond is not at all the same as Hylite!
Dibond, Alucobond and others have a Polyethylene (PE) core. The core of the Hylite is made of Polypropylene (PP). Only PP has the molecular structure to make them durable hinges.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login