Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Log says "temperature sensor defect"

Posted by dxnvrmx 
Log says "temperature sensor defect"
March 09, 2019 04:49PM
First of all, hello RepRap community. I'm new to the 3D printer community and I wanted to ask if somebody could help me with a problem that occured today.
I bought a German RepRap NEO from a schoolfriend and tested it. It worked perfectly fine until today.
When I wanted to start a 3D print, the log said: "temp. sensor defect", and it would "start" to print but no filament came out of the extruder.
So I assume that the extruder just doesnt warm up because the filament wouldn't even get pulled in.
Because of that I began to search how I could fix it but I couldnt really find anything useful.

But I think I might have found a possible solution, do I have to just replace the heatingblock which sits right above the extruder or is the temperature sensor located else where?
And if so, which part do I have to replace and where can I order it? I'd be very happy if someone could help me because I really want to print again asapsmiling smiley.

Regards

Btw. this is the heatingblock which is above the extruder https://www.germanreprap.com/webshop/ersatzteilezubehoer/100456.aspx]the heatingblock I mentioned[/url]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/09/2019 04:50PM by dxnvrmx.
Re: Log says "temperature sensor defect"
March 12, 2019 10:34AM
With this info, there are some holes that need filled in.
  1. First off, is the extruder even reaching temperature? Can you take a bit of filament and press it up against the block while “heated” and have it melt?
  2. Does the thermistor report a real temperature? Does it hover somewhere around 23 degrees Celsius (room temperature) or is it something like -14? (if so, then the thermistor is not connected to the board)
  3. When you begin “printing”, is the extruder block spinning (this is the part with the stepper motor) even though there is nothing coming out?
  4. If your printer does report a real temperature and the extruder is working, then check to see the condition of the heating element (usually metal tube shaped with a braided fiberglass coated wire emerging from one side). Try setting the hotend to your operating temperature and see if the block begins heating.

If any one of these things is malfunctioning, start by checking connections. See if you can find out exactly what is wrong with your setup, so you don’t have to spend extra money on something you may not need.

This is an annotated picture of the heat block (on a side note, you need to fix your link). The red circle is the heating cartridge and the green circle is the thermistor. You should also check to make shure both of these are firmly connected to your hotend.

Replicator 1 dual, Leadscrew based delta printer
learn more
March 12, 2019 12:02PM
Thank you for your reply.

1. Extruder isn't heating up at all, to test I pressed a piece of plastic onto it and it didnt melt.
2. The thermistor doesn't report a real temperature, it says that the Extruder is above 400 degree celsius which can't be because the max. temperature the extruder can reach is about 220-300 degree celsius.
3. No, its not spinning.
4. It doesn't heat up so its not working as it should.

I already checked all cables and restarted the printer and the slicer several times. I ordered a new thermistor and I hope it'll work afterwards.

Much appreciated
March 13, 2019 07:53AM
dxnvrmx
Thank you for your reply.

1. Extruder isn't heating up at all, to test I pressed a piece of plastic onto it and it didnt melt.
2. The thermistor doesn't report a real temperature, it says that the Extruder is above 400 degree celsius which can't be because the max. temperature the extruder can reach is about 220-300 degree celsius.
3. No, its not spinning.
4. It doesn't heat up so its not working as it should.

I already checked all cables and restarted the printer and the slicer several times. I ordered a new thermistor and I hope it'll work afterwards.

Much appreciated

This shouldn’t be a slicer issue. What is sounds like to me is a thermistor error. The end isn’t heating because, well, it thinks that is several hundred degrees above the requested temperature. A new thermistor will probably solve your issue (since you already ordered a new hotend anyway, that should work).

Replicator 1 dual, Leadscrew based delta printer
learn more
March 13, 2019 10:46AM
Yes thats what I thought too.
Thanks a lot mate!
March 13, 2019 01:00PM
Good afternoon,

I set up my Prussian type,.
My hotend does not get hot at all.
I already switched the heating thermistor and it is not it. My Marlin configuration is Ok, bumping into several reprap and gcode query places, but I can not seem to find the problem.
I measure the voltage at terminals D10 and it does not have 12V. Was it supposed to be right? But feed properly with ATX source.
When I order to print a part it returns the ERROR message stopped because the nozzle did not heat up. I am not using a heated table because I only want to use PLA.
I think then it should be the Ramps and the Mega boards, but how to know? Where to find the voltage for a conference?

Hugs,

Frederico Bellose
March 13, 2019 09:32PM
There are 3 common causes

1) Fault: wire or connected thermister is open circuit.
Symptom: Temperature will read a very low value.
Test: remove thermister cable and check resistance with a meter. Most read about 100k at 25C
Fix: repair break in wire , replace thermister if you have broken off the legs.

2) wire or connected thermister is short circuited.
Symptom: Temperature will read a very high value
Test: remove thermister cable and check resistance with a meter. Most read about 100k at 25C
Fix: repair short in wire , untangle thermister legs from touching.

3) Damaged Analog to digital port on controller.
Symptom:Temperature will not change if you unplug the Thermister
Test: remove thermister cable
Fix: replace controller board. Some times you can swap to another port by editing your firmware.
March 26, 2019 03:04PM
Hello Dust,
Sorry for the delay, was waiting for the arrival of a new Ramps board to be sure.

I'm using Arduino 1.8.5 and Marlin 1.1.19 on Windows 10 64bits
I made all the standard configuration by thoroughly checking each line with the tutorials available on the internet.
I'm not using a heated table.
When I command the nozzle to warm up via Prontarface, the printer returns with the following result:

RECV: Error: Heating failed, system stopped! Heater_ID: 0
[ERROR] Error: Heating failed, system stopped! Heater_ID: 0
RECV: Error: Printer halted. kill () called!
[ERROR] Error: Printer halted. kill () called!

I tested the direct heating thermistor at 12volts and it is warming up.
When I warm up there are no 12 volts at the D10 terminals.

I think:
1) Will it be a software configuration error? (But everything seems to be correct!)
2) Have I been unlucky and received two defective RAMPS cards?

I do not have advanced knowledge, can give me a support /
Thank you for your attention.

Fred
Attachments:
open | download - Configuration.h (70.6 KB)
open | download - Configuration_adv.h (67.4 KB)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login