Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Kossel not homing

Posted by StealthNinja1O1 
Kossel not homing
March 26, 2019 11:27AM
Hello

I am looking for someone who can figure out why my custom kossel won't home.
Every time I try to move a axis (extruder does work btw and min-temp is set to 0 for testing) it just halts. It says, Homing failed, Printer halted, Please reset.
I am using a bigtreetech SKR V1.3, and am compiling it with vscode and PIO Home.
2 of my endstops are in No, and the other one in NC, Maybe that helps.
The config files are added, and help is appreciated.
Thanks
Jarno

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2019 11:37AM by StealthNinja1O1.
Attachments:
open | download - Configuration.h (81.6 KB)
open | download - Configuration_adv.h (88 KB)
Re: Kossel not homing
March 27, 2019 11:41AM
StealthNinja1O1
Hello

I am looking for someone who can figure out why my custom kossel won't home.
Every time I try to move a axis (extruder does work btw and min-temp is set to 0 for testing) it just halts. It says, Homing failed, Printer halted, Please reset.
I am using a bigtreetech SKR V1.3, and am compiling it with vscode and PIO Home.
2 of my endstops are in No, and the other one in NC, Maybe that helps.
The config files are added, and help is appreciated.
Thanks
Jarno

We need more information. What _does_ it do?

I have scratch built a couple of Kossels, and have some advice (which others will probably echo and expand on.)
Make sure that your base is solid and that your towers are perpendicular to the base and straight.
Make sure that all of your smooth rods are exactly the same length, rigid and the correct length to cover your build plate.
Leave a little room on your tower end stops for adjustment, do not assume you did it all perfectly, because, you won't.
Put a fan under the bed to blow air over your stepper drivers.

This advice speaks directly to your build:
Make all of your end stops the same kind of switch or optical interrupter. You do NOT want to deal with dissimilar tower end stops. It is hard enough to get a Kossel into alignment without fighting your hardware.

DLC

Kits: Folgertech Kossel 2020 upgraded E3Dv6, Anet A8 upgraded E3Dv6, Tevo Tarantula enhanced parts and dual-head, TronXY X5SA Pro(E3DHemera).
Scratch: Large bed Cartesian, exchangeable heads, Linear slide Delta, Maker-Beam XL Micro Delta, 220x220CoreXY.
March 27, 2019 11:47AM
I already resoldered the end stops so they are all the same mode, and working. But when I try to home, it just halts instantly without any movement happening. Moving the axises without homing doesn't do anything as well, but no error then.
I'm currently trying to install klipper on it to see if it's the firmware, but had no succes making that work so far.
March 27, 2019 02:10PM
StealthNinja1O1
I already resoldered the end stops so they are all the same mode, and working. But when I try to home, it just halts instantly without any movement happening. Moving the axises without homing doesn't do anything as well, but no error then.
I'm currently trying to install klipper on it to see if it's the firmware, but had no succes making that work so far.

More details please. What do the motors do? You said they halt, that implies that they were moving.

Were they moving the wrong direction?
Were the steppers buzzing, but not moving?
How long did it take for the error message to occur?
Smoothie is what should be running on the board, is that what you are using?
Do you know if your steppers are wired correctly?

DLC

Kits: Folgertech Kossel 2020 upgraded E3Dv6, Anet A8 upgraded E3Dv6, Tevo Tarantula enhanced parts and dual-head, TronXY X5SA Pro(E3DHemera).
Scratch: Large bed Cartesian, exchangeable heads, Linear slide Delta, Maker-Beam XL Micro Delta, 220x220CoreXY.
March 27, 2019 04:29PM
what I mean with halted, is that marlin halts (just like when you have a thermal runaway), thats also what I am using. Marlin 2.0.
marlin is supported, and i think the steppers are wired correctly since the extruder does work normaly.
The error comes up immediately when i try to home, click and instantly have the error.
the motors do not make any noise at all, and when i use g112 (tmc debug) they're off.
March 29, 2019 08:41PM
To state the obvious. Have you checked that the homing correctly set. Direction and homing travel distance?

Also to check the firmware, just start with a clean marlin config and just modify the basic to fit your machine. That should give you an indication if its the firmware or not
March 30, 2019 04:51AM
That's like exactly what I did. Geeetech doesn't supply a Delta config, so I began with generic Delta example. Homing ect looks like it's set like it should be, so I really don't know the problem.
March 30, 2019 05:01AM
what does M119 say about the endstops when not triggered?
March 30, 2019 05:02AM
Open, and they say triggered when I trigger them manually
March 30, 2019 05:24AM
well first thing comment out

#define VALIDATE_HOMING_ENDSTOPS

then it wont Halt, and perhaps will provide a clue as to what is going on.

Does it even try to move towards home?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/30/2019 05:24AM by Dust.
March 30, 2019 05:26AM
Ok, I'll try that.
And it doesn't move at all
Thanks
March 30, 2019 06:05AM
so it is probably not a homing issues at all, but a movement issues...
March 30, 2019 06:15AM
the config says you have TMC2208 have you connected the uart jumpers?

see [youtu.be]
March 30, 2019 06:52AM
Commenting out #define VALIDATE_HOMING_ENDSTOPS worked, but now it just resets after homing. it also doesn't home the axises at the same time.
the tmc drivers are connected and soldered correctly. (https://gyazo.com/00b8ef17a5e8bb476e48195857edcefb)
do you know how to make them home at the same time and stop it restarting?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login