Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Printed Circuit Boards with RepRap?

Posted by centaur 
Printed Circuit Boards with RepRap?
May 28, 2011 12:00PM
Hello all - noob here. I am wondering if the RepRap could be used successfully to print PC board patterns directly to the copper. The key element here is resolution. The PCB trace edges must be clean and sharp. Anyone tried this?
If it works a whole new area of RepRap application will be opened. A RepRap designed for this would need no Z axis per se.
About any plastic would work as an etch resist as long as it sticks well to the copper.
Look forward to some input.
Thanks
Re: Printed Circuit Boards with RepRap?
May 28, 2011 12:33PM
This is already in the wiki.. I Just cant find it at the moment...Im sure it was for the Ramps board

[vimeo.com] here is a video clip think there are afew more though

[ultimachine.com]

Bodge It [reprap.org]
=======================================

BIQ Sanguinololu SD LCD board BIQ Stepcon BIQ Opto Endstop
BIQ Heater Block PCB BIQ Extruder Peek clamp replacement BIQ Huxley Seedling
BIQ Sanguinololu mounting BIQ standalone Sanguinololu or Ramps mounting Print It Stick It Cut it

My rep strap: [repstrapbertha.blogspot.com]

Buy the bits from B&Q pipestrap [diyrepstrap.blogspot.com]
How to Build a Darwin without any Rep Rap Parts [repstrapdarwin.blogspot.com]
Web Site [www.takeaway3dtech.com]
May 28, 2011 01:56PM
Generation 7 Electronics Boards are regularly manufactured on a RepStrap with PCB Milling.

Here are more ideas and test results: [reprap.org]

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

May 28, 2011 03:39PM
You can also print PLA on to copper: [hydraraptor.blogspot.com].

I haven't tested it to see if it actually works as resist, but I can't see why not.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
I have been kicking around an idea. Have the reprap print a smt stencil with the circuit traces also cut out. The opposite of using the plastic as etch resist.
June 26, 2011 04:34AM
Hi all,

Has anyone thought of printed electronics?

Kind of inkjet technology where organic or inorganic(metalic) traces are layered down onto almost any material.

From my limited reading this technique can already provide advanced logic circuits and some form of capacitors and resistors. I would like to know if this could extend to the power electronics we would require for a full board.

I can imagine a future reprap building its child's parts and then directly printing the organic electronics straight onto those parts. Add a few motors, and a power supply and off it goes!

Cheers
Gary
June 27, 2011 03:45AM
Yes, a lot of people thought about that, but not so many actual tests so far.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

I have made many boards using this method and over the years have found that some laser printers don't work to well, Brother was one. THe best I have used is Samsung. Also generic toner doesn't work well either.
PCB Design
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login