Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Hello, im new to all this with questions

Posted by Arch 
Hello, im new to all this with questions
June 01, 2011 11:05PM
I was looking to get into the 3d printing and getting ready to order parts (for prusa mendel), i just wanted to check to make sure i got everything down.
So i will need
1. The printed parts
2. Vitamin kit
3. Electronics
Is there any big difference between the Mendel, Prusa and Huxley?
What is the name of the part that melts the plastic for printing? I did not see it on the bill of materials and i see that as being sold seperately on many sites, is this another thing i have to get, or did I not see something?
Is the printer bed part of the vitamin kit?
And which electronics would be best for me? I would prefer something that is close to plug and play if possible.
I noticed a lot of people sell the extruders as something different and maker gear has this "hybrid" option, i have no idea what that means.
And is there a distro that is better for doing this than others?

I forgot for the pwer supply i have quite a few extra computer power supplies laying around can those be used for this?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/01/2011 11:06PM by Arch.
Re: Hello, im new to all this with questions
June 02, 2011 02:14AM

1. The printed parts
2. Vitamin kit
3. Electronics
Is there any big difference between the Mendel, Prusa and Huxley?

Printed parts and Vitamin Kit: Yes. Motors, Electronics, Extruder: No.

Exception: the Prusa needs an additional motor.

What is the name of the part that melts the plastic for printing?

Extruder. You want one operating with a stepper motor. The Hot End is part of the extruder, but often sold seperately.

And which electronics would be best for me?

Good Question, there are many which are basically equal in functionality. Watch out for Gen6 (industry product), Gen7 (DIY-product), RAMPS and Sanguinololu (both in between).

I would prefer something that is close to plug and play if possible.

Then, RepRap is the wrong project for you. Google for "chinese 3D printer" ...

I forgot for the pwer supply i have quite a few extra computer power supplies laying around can those be used for this?

Yes. Some electronics sets even support switching the power supply on and off as needed.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login