Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Steps per mm not updating with new Marlin Flash

Posted by dvanommen 
Steps per mm not updating with new Marlin Flash
July 02, 2019 06:02PM
Hi all, I'm swapping out the extruder on an FLSun i3 plus to a geared extruder. I'm having a problem with uploading new firmware - I'm using marlin 1.1.9 and flashing to an MKS Gen L V1.0 board. When I upload the firmware, the new steps per mm value I entered for the extruder doesn't get logged on the board. Other things will change (I changed the name of the printer, and the new name appears on the landing screen on the LCD), just not the steps/mm value.

I first noticed this when verifying the calibration (a 10 mm extrude command continued to yield only ~3mm movement after the new firmware), then verified it using M501 through Pronterface. Every time I upload the firmware, I check to make sure the value in the file shows 425.411 for E0, then after uploading, I launch Pronterface, and M501 shows the E0 steps/mm is still 150.

I've tried using different USB ports, different USB cables, restarting the printer, my computer, Arduino IDE, etc. All to no avail. I even used a different copy of the Marlin firmware I had saved in a different location on my machine.

I'm lost. Any ideas?
Re: Steps per mm not updating with new Marlin Flash
July 02, 2019 06:20PM
dvanommen
Hi all, I'm swapping out the extruder on an FLSun i3 plus to a geared extruder. I'm having a problem with uploading new firmware - I'm using marlin 1.1.9 and flashing to an MKS Gen L V1.0 board. When I upload the firmware, the new steps per mm value I entered for the extruder doesn't get logged on the board. Other things will change (I changed the name of the printer, and the new name appears on the landing screen on the LCD), just not the steps/mm value.

I first noticed this when verifying the calibration (a 10 mm extrude command continued to yield only ~3mm movement after the new firmware), then verified it using M501 through Pronterface. Every time I upload the firmware, I check to make sure the value in the file shows 425.411 for E0, then after uploading, I launch Pronterface, and M501 shows the E0 steps/mm is still 150.

I've tried using different USB ports, different USB cables, restarting the printer, my computer, Arduino IDE, etc. All to no avail. I even used a different copy of the Marlin firmware I had saved in a different location on my machine.

I'm lost. Any ideas?

It is probably loading values saved in EEPROM. You can either comment out the EEPROM setting in firmware, so that it will never use it or use the g-code commands to wipe it and reload.
M710: Erase the EEPROM and reset the board (for instance)
You can get g-code info here: [reprap.org]

DLC

Kits: Folgertech Kossel 2020 upgraded E3Dv6, Anet A8 upgraded E3Dv6, Tevo Tarantula enhanced parts and dual-head, TronXY X5SA Pro(E3DHemera).
Scratch: Large bed Cartesian, exchangeable heads, Linear slide Delta, Maker-Beam XL Micro Delta, 220x220CoreXY.
July 02, 2019 06:27PM
Great, thanks! I'll give this a try. I have the printer in my work office, and I'm home for the evening. I'll try this first thing tomorrow.
July 03, 2019 09:29AM
It looks like the M710 command is only supported by BQ-Marlin (as indicated on the RepRap G-Code page). When I send the command to my printer, it comes back with "Unknown command." I'll try disabling EEPROM in the firmware and reflashing - hopefully that will clear it out.

**UPDATE**

Disabling the EEPROM lines in the firmware allowed the new steps/mm value to get loaded up! Thanks for helping me get that sorted out.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/03/2019 09:35AM by dvanommen.
July 04, 2019 05:14AM
with marlin fm
M502 ; read values from config
M500 ; store values into eeprom

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/04/2019 05:16AM by obewan.
September 16, 2020 06:17PM
I am installing a e3d v6 gold edition hotend and Zesty Nimble 1.2v. Your replay of running M501 and M500 to save worked for me. Thank You, Thank You Thank You!
October 28, 2022 12:25AM
thanks, I had to comment out this:
//#define EEPROM_SETTINGS
to get the steps per mm to change when I flashed the firmware to my SKR pro1.1 motherboard
now does that mean I can't save changes to the eeprom when using the TFT?
October 28, 2022 12:36AM
@kpdelucia

when you first flash marlin the firmware setting are copied into eeprom. From then on marlin uses the setting in eeprom .

After this eeprom is not updated again. UNLESS you manually tell it to use firmware defaults and save to eeprom ie M502 then M500

You can also enable EEPROM_INIT_NOW this forces the eeprom to update to firmware defaults on each new firmware upload.
October 29, 2022 09:27AM
I could not find EEPROM_INIT_NOW in configuration.h or Configuration.adv
Do I just Add it?
I did Find #define SD_FIRMWARE_UPDATE would that work on an STM32F board?
October 29, 2022 09:50AM
You must be using much older firmware.

This was added 22 Dec 2021

no you cant just add the define without also adding all the code [github.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/29/2022 09:50AM by Dust.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login