Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Connecting a CNC shield to Ramps 4.1 to run 4 extra steppers

Posted by jimgillies 
Connecting a CNC shield to Ramps 4.1 to run 4 extra steppers
July 23, 2019 07:31AM
I want to connect 4 extra stepper motors to my ramps 1.4 board using a CNC shield. I'll be running the extra motors using repetier host. However, i have no idea how to change the marlin software. The purpose of my project is to build a 3D bioprinter which would run 4 syringe drives which would be sliced along with the extruder to print filament and then tissue samples. I wonder if anyone can help with a wiring diagram from the ramps Aux 1 and 2 and the necessary code to change the marlin software.

Many thanks for your help

Jim Gillies
Re: Connecting a CNC shield to Ramps 4.1 to run 4 extra steppers
July 24, 2019 01:55AM
Why not choose electronics and firmware that already supports the required number of stepper drivers as standard?

You may find yourself short of RAM if you use 8-bit electronics, because the size of the movement queue increases with the number of stepper drivers .

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
July 24, 2019 03:29AM
Many thanks for the reply. what sort of electronics and firmware could do this job?
July 24, 2019 07:22AM
jimgillies
Many thanks for the reply. what sort of electronics and firmware could do this job?

The Duet series of control boards will support that configuration, without you even needing to rebuild the firmware (because all the configuration is done in a text file on the SD card). Duet WiFi and Duet Ethernet support up to 12 stepper drivers. Duet Maestro supports up to 7. See duet3d.com for more. The best place to ask for advice on using Duets in particular applications is [forum.duet3d.com].

See my signature for disclaimer.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
July 25, 2019 08:18AM
many thanks

jim
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login