Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

BFB 3000 DUAL extruder conversion

Posted by saif 
BFB 3000 DUAL extruder conversion
August 18, 2019 08:47AM
Hi all,
Since my last post didn't receive any replies and all my trial and error to locate the source of the problem drew a blank, i am considering replacing the electronics of my BFB 3000 DUAL extruder.
Is there anyone who has successfully done this? If so, is it possible to guide me in a step by step detailed format so I can carry out this conversion?
I have recieved a lot of help from the openbfb google group, and have done a little research about marlin firmware and some electronic replacements. But nothing for sure.
I am skeptical about starting with this conversion due to my incompetence in this field. I will be consulting someone who has knowledge of electronics in 3d printing while I take this path.

Thanks and regards.
Re: BFB 3000 DUAL extruder conversion
August 18, 2019 06:55PM
It's probably not hard to replace the electronics, but some information about the machine first would be useful:

- What voltage does the power supply output? It's usually either 12V or 24V, but a few machines use other voltages e.g. 18V.
- If the stepper motors have model numbers printed on them, search the web for a datasheet for the motors so that we can determine what current it needs
- What type of temperature sensors does it use? Most printers use thermistors, but a few use thermocouples.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
August 19, 2019 01:50AM
Thanks dc42!

Thermistor : 204 GT - 200k
Power supply : +12v at 60 watt ( although my adapter has always been set at 15v from the begining)
Stepper motors : Allegro A3979

I have read a blog where the person has converted a rapman 3.1 using ultimaker1 board and marlin firmware.
Rapman 3.1 and bfb 3000 share the same firmware. They are not much different. But his was a single extruder and mine is a dual extruder.
So I dont know if its safe to follow his instructions for my particular case.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/19/2019 11:17AM by saif.
August 19, 2019 03:48AM
The BFB 3000 dual has 6 motors in total. 1 for Xaxis, 2 for Yaxis, 1 for Zaxis( rather bigger than the rest) and 2 for 2 extruders.
Will the ultimaker 1.5.7 board be able to support these. Am wondering especially about the bigger Z axis motor.
August 19, 2019 03:43PM
Allegro A3979 is the part number of the driver chip, not the stepper motors. It would be helpful to know the stepper motor part numbers. Usually there is a label on the motor.

If you are worried about the larger stepper motor, the Duet WiFi and Duet Ethernet can provide more stepper motor current than any other existing electronics that I know of using the internal drivers.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

August 20, 2019 01:32AM
Okay. I thought that was the type of motor used(duh).
It seems the motors were made by motion control products uk.

Z-axis motor looks like the nema 23:
[www.motioncontrolproducts.co.uk]

The rest of the 5 motors (1nos. - Xaxis, 2nos.- Yaxis, 2nos. - 2 extruders) are identical. Maybe nema 17:
[www.motioncontrolproducts.co.uk]

I am also considering using the Rumba controller since its more compact and easier to connect wires without soldering.
I am afraid, duet would be way too expensive for me. Its coming to more than 5 times just for the board.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/20/2019 04:02AM by saif.
August 20, 2019 06:32PM
I think you will be pushing your luck driving a Nema 23 motor using a Rumba, because the Rumba uses the usual tiny plug-in drivers with inadequate heatsinking, which limits the current that the drivers can carry. Whereas the A3979 on your old controller board is rated to 2.5A with sufficient heatsinking. You might just manage with a DRV8825 driver, but those drivers often show low current microstepping issues.

Why do you think a Rumba is easier to connect wires without soldering?

Don't forget that the Duets include five high-microstepping drivers and web server on board. Drivers are extra for the Rumba.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/20/2019 06:35PM by dc42.

August 21, 2019 11:13AM
Thanks,
You mean to say even if I was to do this conversion to duet, would it be possible to guide me to carry out these operations on remote instructions?
Thing is, i havent come across anyone who has done this with an identical machine. If there was, I would blindly follow, as you see I have no knowledge about electronics.

Cost is also a factor, because here in India, I would get a decent 3d printer(although smaller) for the price of the duet board. smiling smiley
Besides I wouldn't have the faintest idea how to configure marlin for my printer. So far, internet is my only source of information.

Okay ill do some more research..
August 21, 2019 12:16PM
For help about configuring a Duet for a particular printer, there is an online configurator at [configurator.reprapfirmware.org], and many helpful people on the forum at [forum.duet3d.com]. It's even possible that someone has installed a Duet in a similar printer already.

The Duet certainly isn't the cheapest board but it includes Trinamic stepper drivers that really can handle 2.4A, WiFi or Ethernet supporting a comprehensive web interface, built-in SD card, configuration by means of a text file on the SD card (which you can edit in the web interface), power monitoring, protection against common wiring errors, and more.

August 25, 2019 09:47AM
Hi,
Thanks. This is very reasonable. I also found some other sites where its way cheaper.
I also recieved a mail from the motor company. The larger motor is @ 3.15v, 2.1 amp. And the smaller are @ 2.7v and 1.68 amp.
August 28, 2019 10:10AM
Hi,

I too have an old BFB3000+ with two extruders, and I started the conversion three years ago, but life happened and I never finished the project...
I only found this thread now because I started thinking about the printer a couple of days ago when I was cleaning my basement workshop :-)

I have cut all the wires, and removed the old controller, and started to connect a RAMPS 1.4, but when trying to adjust the stepper driver potmeter I managed to short the driver with the screwdriver and fry the board...
I was planning to order a new board but maybe there are newer and better alternatives around?

Also, in the future I am planning to remove the extruders and replace them with something lighter, as the total moving mass is a bit on the heavy side...

I'd be more than happy to share my experiences and findings with you Saif, and maybe things will be both easier and quicker with two heads working in parallel spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
August 31, 2019 01:26PM
Hey aserbo,
After much deliberation and troubleshooting, my machine finally rebooted. Although it does keep jumping into bootloader mode on its own.
For now I am going to put the conversion on hold.
But if you wish to go about doing it, there is an openbfb support google group. Some very helpful people out there. If you havent already stumbled upon it, the link is as below.

[groups.google.com]
September 02, 2019 03:59AM
Hi Saif,

I absolutely have to continue, as I have long since cut all the wires, and removed the controller pcb smiling smiley

If you would like to have my old controller as a spare, just let me know, and I'll send it to you! It was working, I was just tired of fighting with closed source tech...

Thank you for the link, I was not aware of this group!
September 02, 2019 06:20AM
Hi Aserbo,
Wow that is very kind of you. I may or my not need the controller just yet. Although I will hold on to that offer smiling smiley
If I ever need it replaced and not have the patience to convert to opensource, i will ask for it. Please don't give it to anybody else until that?
Thanks a ton!
September 25, 2019 04:54AM
Hi Aserbo,
My controller is behaving funny again. In case you are still willing to part with your controller, Id like to figure out arrangements to facilitate this. Would you like to put a price for this exchange? If so, please reply so as to figure out how we can do this.

Thanks.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login