Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Can you make a smooth cylinder?

Posted by stackman 
Can you make a smooth cylinder?
June 06, 2011 08:57PM
I've only seen pictures of models produced with 3D printers. If you make a cylinder on a 3D printer, would the surface of the cylinder be smoother or would it have ridges? I realize there are probably different settings, but is it possible to get a fairly smooth cylindrical part?
Re: Can you make a smooth cylinder?
June 06, 2011 09:24PM
It can feel smooth to the touch, but running your finger nail across the surface will reveal it is definitely layered.

What are you trying to do that requires smoothness? It may help us explain if it is feasible.
June 06, 2011 10:21PM
I have a small wind tunnel, and I wanted to use the prints to build models to put in my wind tunnels. It doesn't have to be perfectly smooth, but something reasonable that approximates steel cylinders.
June 06, 2011 11:36PM
I have found that you can sand them up after printing and get reasonably good results if you have the time

June 07, 2011 01:52AM
... you can smooth the surface to perfect smoothness with sanding and melting with a torch - but be carefully not to overheat the body or it will distort ... especially thin walls are delicate ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
June 07, 2011 05:48AM
Another approach is to get the ridges in direction of the air flow (by turning the STL file before slicing it).

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

June 07, 2011 07:15AM
Or lightly wiping the part with acetone on a lint-free cloth will melt the ridges, if printing with ABS. I think PLA isn't affected by acetone?
June 07, 2011 09:08AM
You can definitely get smoother edges than what you see online, but people like to show off the calibration of their machines via unaltered productions. That's why almost everything that you see has ridges on it. Either that or they post a pic as soon as it's done but before they do final clean-up on it.

But, there's also this un-touched-up print from a makergear mosaic machine:

[www.flickr.com]
June 07, 2011 09:22AM
droftarts Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Or lightly wiping the part with acetone on a
> lint-free cloth will melt the ridges, if printing
> with ABS. I think PLA isn't affected by acetone?

PLA will also dissolve in acetone. I have glued parts made of PLA with acetone.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login