Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Stepper Drivers not Working

Posted by McAnnonMk2 
Stepper Drivers not Working
November 23, 2019 07:27PM
I upgraded to a Bigtreetech SKR 1.3 with 4 Bigtreetech 2208 (standalone mode) on it (using marlin 2.0). I fried the board somehow so I bought another one. The steppers worked on the fried board (before it was fried) but now none of the steepers seem to work. I tested all of the steppers on the original board and they all still work. I am pretty sure I configured everything correctly. On a fresh install of Marlin, I Changed the board on configuration.h and the defined driver to TMC2208_STANDALONE. I also switched the default_envs to LPC1768. Same things as I did on the fried board. What have I messed up?
Re: Stepper Drivers not Working
November 23, 2019 07:31PM
Check F2 is in properly and isnt broken
November 23, 2019 09:23PM
I just checked F2 and it seems to be properly plugged in and working
November 23, 2019 10:02PM
Got a multi meter?

Check vmot pin on stepper driver socket has 12 or 24v (what ever your feeding it)
November 23, 2019 11:14PM
I just checked and they all do output 12v (using 12v)
November 23, 2019 11:31PM
Other than power everything else is directly connected to the cpu

Ie enable, step and direction are all directly connected to IO lines on the controller.

So that leaves firmware.... controlling the pin or the pins themselves being the issue

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/23/2019 11:35PM by Dust.
November 24, 2019 03:12AM
Just wondering why would you use TMC_STANDALONE? You miss the benefit of the drivers.

http://www.marinusdebeer.nl/
November 24, 2019 11:10AM
I tried to put it into UART mode although I ran into some issues so I put it back into standalone mode (since its simpler to set up) to make sure that everything works. Also, I used standalone on the previous board (the one that got fried) and it seemed to work so I then used the firmware again on the new board to make sure that the firmware wasn't the issue. I'll try UART mode again tho
November 24, 2019 04:44PM
I followed this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSO3Xd0a0Z8&t=6s) video to configure everything for UART mode but on the lcd screen, I get "TMC CONNECTION ERROR". I connected the uart and pdn pins on the driver and I still get the same thing
December 01, 2019 04:06PM
Post images of your controller board jumpers (including under the stepper modules) and your stepper motor drivers (so we can see J2)
December 01, 2019 06:18PM
December 01, 2019 08:29PM
"and your stepper motor drivers (so we can see J2)"

The manual for these stepper drivers is here [github.com]
The part you need to see is:

There are two pins that can be set as the UART pin depending on if the upper or lower pins of J2 are connected.

From the SKR 1.3 Diagram It looks like it needs to be set to the Lower pads, Ie the Right hand diagram.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/2019 08:41PM by Dust.
December 02, 2019 02:36AM
Dust
"and your stepper motor drivers (so we can see J2)"

The manual for these stepper drivers is here [github.com]
The part you need to see is:

There are two pins that can be set as the UART pin depending on if the upper or lower pins of J2 are connected.

From the SKR 1.3 Diagram It looks like it needs to be set to the Lower pads, Ie the Right hand diagram.

He has the v3 stepper drivers which already come prepared for UART if I'm correct.

December 02, 2019 03:38AM
He seem to be trying both.

Since his last error was "TMC CONNECTION ERROR" and the board is configured for uarts...

Im just offering another possibility...
December 20, 2019 01:43PM
My SKR_PRO board was tossing the same error with TMC2130's installed. I had to un-comment #define TMC_USE_SW_SPI to fix my error. Maybe you have this define un-commented and it shouldn't.
December 21, 2019 04:58AM
unclechuck
My SKR_PRO board was tossing the same error with TMC2130's installed. I had to un-comment #define TMC_USE_SW_SPI to fix my error. Maybe you have this define un-commented and it shouldn't.

TMC2130's use SPI, TMC2208's use UART. It's a different dog altogether.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login