Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Need X-axis endstop holder for Prusa i3 - any suppliers?

Posted by AndyD 
Need X-axis endstop holder for Prusa i3 - any suppliers?
January 06, 2020 12:25PM
Hi folks. Many, many moons ago I started building a Prusa I3, based on parts from various sources. My progress has been really poor, partly due to the limited time that I have available. At the moment, I have a printer that works in all respects apart from the fact that I don't have an end-stop holder for the X-axis. To clarify: I have the actual switch (on a small PCB with LED indicator) and the circuitry works fine, but I don't have anything to hold it in place. Ideally, once I've got the basic printer working, I would like to upgrade it piecemeal, by building my own upgrades. However, to do any of that, I need a basic functioning machine, Is there anybody out there who could provide me with an end-stop holder? The two options that I've seen include a holder that is built into the mount for the X-axis stepper motor. and an end-stop holder that clamps to the z-axis runners - either would be fine. I would of course be prepared to pay for this part (assuming we're not talking silly money).
Re: Need X-axis endstop holder for Prusa i3 - any suppliers?
January 08, 2020 10:20AM
Welcome.

Could you provide a picture of your printer, so we exactly know what you built and make the correct holder?
Regarding money - could be interesting where you are from - else shipment costs could be extremely high.
January 08, 2020 11:00AM
Here is a photo of an identical model, that I found on eBay: Reprap Prusa i3 Mk1

This omits the wiring and other stuff that would otherwise obscure the view.

I live in the UK, so would hope that shipment costs would not be too high, providing you are in Europe cool smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/08/2020 11:26AM by AndyD.
January 09, 2020 09:46AM
I just connected it to my smooth rod with a tie-rip the first time. Then I printed out my own part and replaced it smiling smiley

Should work fine. Otherwise, I live in NL and would print it for free, only shipping cost would have to be covered.

http://www.marinusdebeer.nl/
January 09, 2020 02:04PM
You may well be right - I'll give it a try hot smiley

Nice bubble(s) by the way smileys with beer
January 09, 2020 04:35PM
AndyD
You may well be right - I'll give it a try hot smiley

Nice bubble(s) by the way smileys with beer

Honestly, on my MendelMax I still use a ziptie hahaha.
And thanks about the bubbles, and to remind me I have to update the hopelessly outdated website........

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/2020 04:36PM by Ohmarinus.

January 10, 2020 08:48PM
maybe one day i'll use endstops...but they dont alf add some clutter.
January 11, 2020 06:39AM
MechaBits
maybe one day i'll use endstops...but they dont alf add some clutter.

Without endstops, how does the printer find 'home'?
January 11, 2020 07:52AM
It doesn't.

You tell it where it is.

Normally you park it at a known location then power off. On next power on you tell it where it is again.

Its a pain in the butt, but does work.
January 11, 2020 08:07AM
If this really is a prusa i3 mk1 (and It looks like it is from the X carriage shape)

It doesn't have endstop holders. They where just micro switches held on with zip ties
see the assembly manual [manual.prusa3d.com]
In particular this page [manual.prusa3d.com]

The mk2 had holes at the bottom of the X motor mount to attach the microswitch

January 11, 2020 08:34AM
Dust
It doesn't.

You tell it where it is.

Normally you park it at a known location then power off. On next power on you tell it where it is again.

Apologies for also being a pitb, but how do you "tell it where it is"? I'm a newbie in case you hadn't guessed confused smiley
January 11, 2020 08:51AM
I find it funny to see that my ziptie solution isn't that uncommon.

January 11, 2020 08:54AM
Ohmarinus
I find it funny to see that my ziptie solution isn't that uncommon.

sometimes the old ways are the best smiling bouncing smiley
January 11, 2020 09:58AM
to tell the machine where it is you send gcode G92
[marlinfw.org]
January 11, 2020 10:01AM
For X and Y end stops a zip tie is fine, It doesn't have to be that accurate... but personally I don't like the idea for the Z end stop
January 11, 2020 12:06PM
A 3D printer would come handy to make such simple holder, 5 min to "design" a bit longer to print. smiling smiley

"A comical prototype doesn't mean a dumb idea is possible" (Thunderf00t)
January 11, 2020 12:40PM
MKSA
A 3D printer would come handy to make such simple holder, 5 min to "design" a bit longer to print. smiling smiley

I will probably adopt Dust's suggestion to use manual homing, and use the printer to print some proper endstops. I realise I don't strictly need them but I prefer to over-engineer (it's a known weakness of mine).
January 11, 2020 10:48PM
Dust
It doesn't.

You tell it where it is.

I just make sure I send it to Z=0 after the last print(dont bother with x & y), and when I start I just put the head close to the corner, but out the way of the bed level screw as when the motors engage they move a little, though sometimes position off the bed, so when I purge some filament it drops to the floor rather than on the bed, or I raise it 10mm and purge there, when I hit print it returns to zero, saves time on any probing end stops or faffing around with pullups, & extra wires, though obviously with beefier motors & finger chopping designs they are needed. Hasn't let me down in years.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login