Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Best design for OVERSIZED builds?

Posted by ArtStudent 
Best design for OVERSIZED builds?
January 24, 2020 11:36PM
Hi All.
While there are many commercial offerings of oversized printers (anything over 1Mx1Mx1M),
as an artist I can't afford to pay the premium of a well designed and executed machine.

I've doing a bunch of research about my options, and just spent an hour reading through all the info on CoreXY vs H-Bridge etc (so fascinating).

Can anyone point me in the right direction on possible approaches to MASSIVE DIY printing?

Should I be looking at something like CoreXY, or will the belt tension become a big problem with an oversized printer?
Is there a reason many of the commercial offerings are Delta?

Thanks for any advice.

p.s. sorry if I've posted in the wrong sub-section.. There are so many here at RepRap!
VDX
Re: Best design for OVERSIZED builds?
January 25, 2020 08:42AM
... maybe the hangprinter in combination with construction foam or concrete is a better concept for "big" printing cool smiley

[reprap.org]

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
Re: Best design for OVERSIZED builds?
January 25, 2020 02:40PM
I briefly looked at designing something like this for an artist - he wanted something for making an armature for human sculptures. We agreed that a Delta printer was best and that accuracy was far from paramount: About 2400mm high by 1000mm span would do everything short of Vitruvian man (who would have to have detachable arms). The final spec was for Delta, possibly hangprinter, with 1.5mm nozzle and nominal 0.8mm layers - no infill, just a shell.

I never did hear back from him and have no idea how serious he was but sometimes I think how pleasant it would be to not mess around getting the last few microns of accuracy - 5mm is plenty good enough for this job.

Mike
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login