Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Shorter flex shaft for the Zesty Nimble

Posted by kulfuerst 
Shorter flex shaft for the Zesty Nimble
March 17, 2020 01:37PM
Hey everyone,

I recently installed a Zesty Nimble. Besides the fact that it is annoyingly loud, the flex shaft is also way more springy than I would like and simply too long for my setup. I got the 75cm version, but something like 55cm would have definitely been better as the 75cm shaft is causing problems with my enclosure, it's just too long. Does anyone know where I could get a shorter shaft? Maybe one that is also a bit less springy? It would be very helpful.

Thanks a lot!
Re: Shorter flex shaft for the Zesty Nimble
March 19, 2020 04:25PM
if you want the quick and expensive way then go here 600mm is the smallest
[flex3drive.com]

if you want links to aliexpress you can buy the raw materials and make your own. read the description here
[www.thingiverse.com]

or here
[www.thingiverse.com]
March 19, 2020 04:47PM
also, the nimble was changed from 30:1 to 20:1 on new models. the G5 was changed from 30:1 to 40:1. the nimble has %100 more flex compared to the G5. this is considering that the flex is a function of flex cable length divided by gear ratio. this is what actually happens at the nozzle. whatever is left can be tuned out by adjusting linear advance. there are videos on that. you also need to change your esteps but you probably already did. that flex is better for some applications compared to direct extruders with 8 bit boards and cheap garbage stepper motors. the flex is like a low pass filter removing those unwanted movements coming out of the cheap stepper motor.
April 26, 2020 09:43AM
I am pretty sure the G5 was always 40:1 @longbeardpolymer, Flex3Drive has always been 40:1

Regarding "quick and expensive" could be rephrased as "most effective and cost efficient" winking smiley

Flex3Drive.com
April 26, 2020 10:14AM
Flex3drive is pretty much superior in every way. The nimble was always a copycat wannabe trying to leverage flex3drives design. The difference in recognition is due to marketing. I wouldn't pay more for an inferior product(aka Zesty Nimble).
April 26, 2020 04:06PM
Well said @Obelisk79, its in the numbers, not just hearsay or dodgy marketing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/2020 08:26PM by Mutley3D.

Flex3Drive.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login