Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Y-Axis Won't Home with 2 Motors/Leadscrews Setup

Posted by danielogc 
Y-Axis Won't Home with 2 Motors/Leadscrews Setup
April 30, 2020 12:39PM
I know there are already quite a few posts regarding Y-Axis homing issues. I've searched and read a few but I think my problem is unique. My printer is cartesian with the X,Y and Z axes all driven by a motors and leadscrews. One motor to a leadscrew; that is.

My X-Axis is driven by one motor/leadscrew. No problem with movement along the X-Axis and Homing.

My Z-Axis is driven by two sets of motors/leadscrews. One on either side of the bed. No problem with up and down movement and homing.

My Y-Axis is also driven by two sets of motors/leadscrews (one on either side) but it just won't Home. The Endstop is set at Y_min. M119 show it to be in the OPEN position. When I execute +Y, it moves along the Y-axis without any problems. When I execute -Y it moves back in the Y direction without any problems. However when I execute HOME, the motors just grinds and will not rotate.

What is interesting is when I disconnect either one of the motor connection from the controller board, That means only relying on one motor/Leadscrew on one side (either side works), the Y-axis works normally as it should including no problems with HOMING. It just won't Home when both motors are connected. Could this be the voltage setting of the stepper driver (too low voltage)?

For both the Y and the Z motors, I have the wires of the respective two motors twisted together with both motors controlled by one stepper driver. It works for the Z-Axis, why doesn't it work for the Y-Axis?

Can somebody give me some pointers what could I have done wrong here? If connecting two motors to a stepper is not the right thing to do, how do I set up/configure the respective set of motors to rotate in tandem if they are connected to it's own stepper driver?
Re: Y-Axis Won't Home with 2 Motors/Leadscrews Setup
May 08, 2020 07:07AM
Issue resolved. Turns out that was probably because I had two stepper drivers driving 2 motors each and that was probably over stretching the load. The problem with the Y-Axis homing was resolved as soon as I assign an additional stepper so that each motor is controlled by it's respective stepper driver.

In case anyone need to do the same, additional steppers can be assign in the Configuration_adv.h in Marlin.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login