Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

'Grip Surface' of Replicator Plus?

Posted by jsw 
jsw
'Grip Surface' of Replicator Plus?
July 26, 2020 07:57PM
This was brought about by a thread on another board, but I thought I would ask here too.

Makerbot is touting their 'Grip Surface' on the replaceable build plates for their new(er) Replicator Plus as being fool-proof, as in first-time-every-time adhesion of the first layer (at least with their proprietary PLA).

Does anyone here know what, exactly, the surface of these 'Grip Surface' plates is made of?

I've googled (and DDG'd) and get many references to the talking points in favor of these, but nothing as to what they are made of or how they allegedly achieve better adhesion.

Can anyone give any insight?

Thanks.
Re: 'Grip Surface' of Replicator Plus?
July 27, 2020 08:02PM
Bugger that Proprietary PLA you must have missed people talking about PEI
jsw
July 27, 2020 08:47PM
I would think that if it were indeed PEI, they would refer to it by that name.
July 28, 2020 06:46AM
I'm not saying their's is, many companies are protective of their magic surface's, just that people who want a print surface seem to plump for PEI, maybe you want something else like a black/textured surface?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/28/2020 01:33PM by MechaBits.
July 28, 2020 12:34PM
Honestly we use Buildtak on our Z-18. I don't like the machine though and my colleagues keep clogging the nozzle and then we have to buy another hotend module for €250...

http://www.marinusdebeer.nl/
August 01, 2020 05:08PM
Have you had no luck with Blue painters tape & elnet? My first roll lasted quite a while, many times being able to reuse as it hadnt torn getting part off. Though that roll ran out recently and I wasnt so lucky with the second roll at £4, I must have missed the Clean Peel(not very sticky) in the listing, really cheap n nasty thin paper that would wrinkle when wet with spray and would lift with the parts while printing & on removal. So as I've a new roll of pla+ going on the machine I couldnt think of using that roll so decided to splurge on genuine 3m @£7, though having never had orig' 3m tape before I cant be sure if it is or a copy, it's very light blue compared to first roll, but just used it for normal pla a few times, no wet wrinkles and no lifting so seems to be doing a great job, will have to see how it holds on bigger parts & with the PLA+
jsw
August 08, 2020 09:50PM
I'm not having any issues. I was just curious about the 'new' surface that Makerbot/Stratasys was hyping.
August 09, 2020 08:46PM
Ah well now you got me curious....They probably took some well known material changed a molecule and then patented it, or just convinced some pen pusher they did it first.
jsw
August 10, 2020 05:47PM
I'm very curious, but I have yet to hear from anyone other than the manufacturer and dealers that it's some kind of a magic solution to the PLA not sticking issue.

I'm almost curious enough to try to somehow get a sample of it and try it on the I3, if I could get just one. They come in packs of three for US $ 39 at the Makerbot Store, and $59 from some reseller on Amazon, so I'm not THAT curious. :-)

I'm halfway thinking of dropping in to our local 'makerspace' and seeing if I can talk them out of one, or offering to buy one from them.
August 10, 2020 06:22PM
I bet it's just a standard polymer and they just don't want to share.

http://www.marinusdebeer.nl/
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login