Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Scratch build large format - extruder cooling question, and Bowden

Posted by JasonStonier 
Scratch build large format - extruder cooling question, and Bowden
March 30, 2021 10:59AM
I've been designing and building a cubic 400x400x500 printer for weeks - mainly reinventing the wheel because I thought I could do it better, then repeatedly discovering that I couldn't.

It's running on a RAMPS1.4 with Arduino Mega, Marlin 2.0, and Octoprint. X- and Y-axes are on the top face, and the print bed is on the Z axis (cantilevered, with one lead screw) - vaguely like an Ultimaker 3.

Anyway, the mechanics are all working now, but before I finish it up and go for a first print I have a couple of questions for the experienced people here:

1) I'm using an E3D v6 clone. The fan it's supplied with is terrible, and I've got space to put up two 50mm fans in to cool the fins, plus a 40mm ducted fan to cool the print - is there any such thing as too much cooling on the heat break in an E3D?

2) Thinking about the length vs bend radius trade-off of a Bowden tube - in my printer, the print head only moves in X-Y so I don't have to worry about enough bowden tube to do the full height to the furthest X-Y. I was initially thinking to mount the extruder on one side of the printer (X=0) and halfway along the Y-axis (Y=200) - but when printing at that point I think the bend radius will be very tight - is it better to mount the extruder higher up on the printer at, say 30 degree angle, and accept a longer bowden tube, to get a larger bend radius?

3) Regarding the firmware - as stock, I think Marlin assumes that the build plate is the Y-Axis, X is X, and Z is the height of the print head. For mine, X is X, Y is Y, and height of the print head from the printed piece is the Z axis moving down. Do I need to do anything special in the firmware configuration, or will it 'just work'?

Thanks for any advice!
Attachments:
open | download - Printer.jpg (612.9 KB)
Re: Scratch build large format - extruder cooling question, and Bowden
March 30, 2021 02:19PM
The 30mm fan that comes on an E3D v6 is plenty enough to cool the hot-end. I wouldn't use a 50 mm fan and certainly not two of them. Why move around all that extra weight/bulk on the extruder carriage?
Sunon makes quality 30 mm fans with mag-lev bearings that run quietly and almost forever. They cost a few $ but you'll never have to take apart the hot-end to unclog it because the fan died.

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
Re: Scratch build large format - extruder cooling question, and Bowden
August 07, 2021 08:56AM
The 30mm fan that comes on an E3D v6 is plenty enough to cool the hot-end.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/12/2021 03:01PM by VDX.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login