Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

A complete newbie would like some help please

Posted by MrGlenn 
A complete newbie would like some help please
June 15, 2021 12:22PM
Hello.

I am very new to 3d printing. My family just gave me an AA+inks 2017 Upgraded Full Quality High Precision Reprap Prusa i3 DIY 3d Printer for my birthday. I have assembled it and checked it all. At first I tried to 'PRINT FROM SD CARD' but it didnt recognise the card. I tried to print direct from the PC using the USB cable, but that never worked either. I bought a brand new SD (32Gcool smiley Card and formatted it as FAT 32. I copied the file to it (UMS5_#3DBenchy - Multi-part - Single - Cargo box - (3DBenchy.com).ufp). Every time I try to "PRINT FROM SD CARD" it keeps saying "SYSTEM VOLUME INFO" and I can do no more.

Can anyone help me please?

Many thanks from a frustrated old geezer
Re: A complete newbie would like some help please
June 15, 2021 02:52PM
Everything seen shows using an 8GB SD card, I have only used 2GB Card on my 3D Printers an never had any problems.

Did have problems using larger SD Card sizes.

Computer Programmer / Electronics Technician
June 16, 2021 02:30AM
WoW, I never thought about card size! There wasn't one included with the parts and I dont remember seeing any reference to size. many thanks for your reply, I'll be buying a smaller one when the shops open.
June 16, 2021 06:09AM
Well, that doesn't work either. I managed to obtain a 2GB card (used), formatted it (FAT32), but still I can only get it to say "SYSTEM VOLUME INFO". This is looking like I might have to inform my family thanks for the useless birthday present! I have sent e-mail to the makers (zhuhaictc) but so far no reply after 3 days. And so far only the above piece of help from the forum. Fast running out of ideas and getting jolly disappointed!
June 16, 2021 07:55AM
Don't give up just because your first Post reply, was not the solution.
More likely than not someone will respond with the information you require.

Computer Programmer / Electronics Technician
June 16, 2021 08:01AM
Many SD cards are not compatible, Older 8 bit Controllers only use SPI interface to talk to the sdcard. A lot of modern sdcards no longer support the SPI interface.

I would start by trying to work out why you can't control it over usb

When you pug it in to your computer do you get a new serial device? Are there any device errors?
Can you connect to it?
Can you send basic gcodes such as M115 and does it reply? [marlinfw.org]
June 20, 2021 02:02AM
Sorry late replies here. Been staying at my daughters for a few days. OK, I actually solved the problem with the SD card - so easily that I feel stupid. Of course it would have helped rather a lot if the DIY kit came with a few instructions. Quite simply, I was putting the wrong files on the SD card - the *.ufp instead of the *.gcode. Only discovered that by watching yootoob videos.

For the record, in answer to Dusts' comments, I can't in any way communicate with the printer via USB. I have installed the drivers that were on the disc in the box of bits, but the PC (Windows) just refuses to even rcognise that it's plugged in. I have tried 'hot plugging' in / out & back in again. Different USB sockets. Used different cables. Have restarted the PC a number of times, with it plugged in or up-plugged etc etc.

Now having said that I solved the SD card issue, unfortunately yet another problem has arisen - it only wants to print a short line on the X axis. But that is for a separate post I guess so I might see some of you there?

Once again, thanks to all for the help. Even if none of them work, it's all part of the learning curve!
June 20, 2021 02:43AM
You really need to get serial communications up and running so you can test basic features. Some tests can be done via LCD, but lcd is designed as an user interface for a working machine.

Can you take a high res image of your controller? (online images are low res)
What is the name of the drivers that came with it?
Is it a ch34x ? in which case try these latest drivers [learn.sparkfun.com]
June 20, 2021 03:05AM
There doesn't appear to be much info' on the controller board. However, the drivers are CH341, si I will be taking a look athose in a short while.
Attachments:
open | download - controller-1.jpg (581.4 KB)
open | download - rig.jpg (318.9 KB)
June 20, 2021 03:16AM
[www.wch-ic.com] drivers look newer than the page I linked..

And they list CH341
June 20, 2021 03:30AM
341 seems to be the latest. I have just un-installed and re-installed about 4 times - and suddenly it has recognised the controller!! Now to figure out what to try next....
June 20, 2021 03:33AM
Get yourself pronterface/printrun
then you can send gcode commadns at the printer

M119 is a good place to start, check you endstops are working as expected
June 20, 2021 03:36AM
OK, many thanks to you for your help. I think it's time for a fresh mug of tea first then I'll be taking a close look at those. Thanks again. (I swear that Satan himself sent us computers in an attempt to drive us all insane!)
June 20, 2021 04:35AM
This might be useful

The printer understands what are called g-codes here is a list of them all [marlinfw.org]

The most useful to know are

Moves: G0/G1
Heat up hotend: M104 / M109
Heat up bed: M140 / M190
Display current settings: M503
Display current endstop status: M119
June 20, 2021 09:53AM
I would just like to thank everyone for their help. I have finally succeeded in creating an 'object'! I created it myself in 3DSMax then sent it to Pronterface via Cura and from Pronterface dirctly to the 3D printer bypassing the SD card. The 'object' in the picture is the name of my future first Great-Grandaughter due to be born mid-September. I know it is a long way from perfect, but practise makes perfect! i still have an awafull lot to learn, but I am now confident I will get there. Once again thanks to everyone. I am now going to make myself a big mug of tea and put my feet up for a while.
Attachments:
open | download - Finished Object.jpg (101.6 KB)
December 12, 2021 04:36PM
Have a Rep Rap Clone I believe. Uses Arduino 2560 and the 1.4 bit for the stepper motors I believe. Can I load the Arduino on to the 2560 board lone and then the Marlin 2.0? After that place the top board with the chips on to the Arduino? Or do I have to have every thing put together first?
Forgot to tell everyone how to get in touch.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/12/2021 04:37PM by Ndv19.
December 14, 2021 01:47PM
I plugged every thing together and plugged the USB cord into the computer and I had no display on the RepRapD1 scount Smart Controller. Should I see something or load Arduino 1.8.15 first? Not sure how to proceed. Help Please
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login