Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Wiring 2 x 12v heat beds in series

Posted by Jaymcd0626 
Wiring 2 x 12v heat beds in series
March 12, 2022 05:13PM
I have a couple of 12v heat beds laying around from tear downs/ spares and was thinking of combining a couple for a large dual bed. I have seen a number of similar questions answered previously but am still unclear the best way to do this.

Any thoughts on how I can safely wire them ?

I know I could just get a large silicon heater but I want to make use of some the spare parts I have.’

Jay
rq3
Re: Wiring 2 x 12v heat beds in series
March 16, 2022 06:12PM
Jaymcd0626
I have a couple of 12v heat beds laying around from tear downs/ spares and was thinking of combining a couple for a large dual bed. I have seen a number of similar questions answered previously but am still unclear the best way to do this.

Any thoughts on how I can safely wire them ?

I know I could just get a large silicon heater but I want to make use of some the spare parts I have.’

Jay

You can wire them in parallel to a 12 volt supply if the driver mosfet or relay can handle the current, or you can wire them in series to a 24 volt supply if the mosfet or relay can handle the voltage.
March 26, 2022 02:08PM
Problem is when they have totally different power ratings, temperatures could differ by a lot. i would rather have each one on its own control circuit, i.e. 2 MOSFETs and 2 thermistors.
rq3
March 26, 2022 05:31PM
Hfleming
Problem is when they have totally different power ratings, temperatures could differ by a lot. i would rather have each one on its own control circuit, i.e. 2 MOSFETs and 2 thermistors.

Very true. I had made the stupid assumption that both heaters had the same resistance.
March 27, 2022 06:15PM
Oh OK, hmm. Have to see if my controller can support two separate heat EDS and thermistors. But I like the idea and agree it would probably work out better.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login