Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Newbie to DIY reprap with questions

Posted by tonynsx 
Newbie to DIY reprap with questions
September 23, 2022 02:22PM
Hello all,

I have a 3D printer but I like to build my own. I'm learning by watching the YouTube video below and by other means.

I know people use Marlinfw for the firmware since its opensource. All the videos I've seen is people flashing it to an Arduino, and connecting it to a RAMPS 1.4.
I've also seen using Marlinfw on ESP32 / ESP8266 since this microcontroller have built in WiFi, and because its 32 bit? Anyone tried that before?

My idea is to build a 1000 mm print volume on all 3 axis, I would think the procedures are the same on the video below except I would need a longer aluminum extrusions. Maybe 1200 mm or 1500mm, also longer lead screws (z-axis), bigger bed, right?

What about using 2 stepper motors on the z-axis? Would I just connect the 2 z-axis steppers in parallels to keep the voltage the same, and then connect it to the RAMPS?

Also, for the frame parts and electronics, is it usually cheaper to buy them during Cyber Monday or Black Friday seasons?

I have a 3D printer now, and I'm going to use it to 3D print the various mounts.

DIY 3D Printer YouTube

That's my idea so far, any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Tony
VDX
Re: Newbie to DIY reprap with questions
September 23, 2022 02:42PM
... bigger frames and moving ranges will complicate the buildup too much - most people, trying this, ended with smaller dimensions or cancelled it totally sad smiley

It's mostly for more serious warping bigger parts, even with housing araound, but too -- much easier to start, if you won't excede 400mm (better 300mm) build volume smoking smiley

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
September 23, 2022 04:13PM
Thanks for the reply, yeah since this is my first DIY printer, I should probably start small.
September 23, 2022 04:28PM
So if I keep the build size to max 400 mm, I can use basic steppers, RAMPS 1.4 etc? Just like in the video.
September 23, 2022 04:55PM
Also, are there any delta style reprap 3D printers? I don't think I have see any.
VDX
September 23, 2022 05:30PM
... I have an older "delta MAX" for spare parts (or eventually reviving) ... and could be, my "tripod"-demonstrator from 2007/2008 was the first "DIY-delta" in the genealogy ... two years prior to "Rostock" smoking smiley

And yes ... 400x400mm is pretty common for the RepRap-printers ...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/2022 05:31PM by VDX.

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

September 26, 2022 09:17AM
Would it be cheaper to buy the materials during sale such as black friday or cyber monday?
VDX
September 26, 2022 09:48AM
... better search for a complete delta at ebay or another "fleamarket" - they were pretty common some years ago, so should be some there ... much cheaper, than collecting the parts ...

Viktor
--------

September 26, 2022 10:25AM
Good point, thanks
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login