Stepper does not work with one driver, others do
October 23, 2022 05:10AM
Hey!
I'm currently rebuilding my i3 clone as it was damaged while moving flats. A good chance to upgrade to TMC2208 steppers, nicer endstops etc. for the RAMPS 1.4 board (ordered a new one there, too). Now I'm done with the hardware side and am working on the Marlin Firmware. I'm using Version 2.0.9.5 and am building and uploading through Visual Studio Code with addons. That works fine so far.

I have smooth and silent movement in Y and Z with homing through the MIN endstops, heated bed and extruder work as expected, so does the display (addition, didn't have one before). The only problem is my X-axis.

When I try to move the X axis it makes something like a stalling sound and doesn't move at all. The reference voltage on the TMC2208 is set up like all the others, even slightly higher because I thought that might be the problem. It still didn't move though, so I tried narrowing the problem down without changing anything on the drivers itself:

- Put X motor on Y driver -> moving the Y-axis leads to a moving printhead on the X-axis. Smooth and silent. -> Motor okay. Driver problem?
- Put Y motor on X driver, moved X-axis, bed moves forward and backwards smooth and silent. -> Driver okay.
- X on X and Y on Y -> Y moves fine, X "stalls" again with the same problem.
- Changed X and Y driver on the board -> Problem persists, X "stalls", Y works fine.

What could be the problem here. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/23/2022 06:26AM by flomei.
Re: Stepper does not work with one driver, others do
October 23, 2022 06:28AM
try the ramp test sketch [reprap.org]

It blindly moves all stepper back and forward and toggles all mosfets on/off (so disconnect heaters, or make sure to not run it very long)

if steppers move with this issue is firmware related.
If not its a hardware issue
Re: Stepper does not work with one driver, others do
October 23, 2022 08:37AM
Ah! That helped.

With the test sketch there was only jittering in the X-axis. I changed the stepper to spare one and now everything works like it should.

Thanks!

edit: Not sure why it worked when I changed to connection earlier, probably just lucky...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/23/2022 08:41AM by flomei.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login