Marlin on cheap Arduino clone
January 13, 2023 12:02PM
As the title says, I am working on building a cheap i3 with spare parts and I wanted to try using the ramps 1.4 combo kit such as:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BKVPZ71?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

I am able to compile and successfully flash the board using vs code/platform io but when I try to connect to the board with pronterface I don't get the expected response. Pronterface shows that it is able to connect and is "online" but when I send a command like M503 I get no response or error message. I was able to test this on a genuine arduino mega and I am able to connect and get responses with the same firmware and test setup. Wondering if anyone else has run into this issue with the cheaper cloned megas? I can also us the arduino IDE and upload a blink sketch with no issue on the clone.

Thanks
VDX
Re: Marlin on cheap Arduino clone
January 13, 2023 01:35PM
... eventually different driver between the genuine and cheapy? - the chinese clones use other serial chips à la CH340 - [www.drduino.com]

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
January 13, 2023 07:12PM
Could also be that you didn't set #define SERIAL_PORT 0

The chip would always connect, but marlin cannot receive or send any data

And update your ch340 driver [www.wch-ic.com]
January 15, 2023 11:14PM
Thanks for all the help. Tried updating drivers and checked that I had serial port defined in the config but it didn't seem to make a difference. It would seem that the firmware I had was causing the issue... something with having it configured for TMC2130 to match my other printer with a ramps 1.6 seemed to cause the problem. Configured for A4988 and I now have firmware that talks to pronterface and my lcd screen!
VDX
January 16, 2023 12:33AM
smileys with beer

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login