Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

The Epic Has Begun!!!

Posted by redskinsjbs 
The Epic Has Begun!!!
January 28, 2008 06:00PM
So today I finally received my mm nuts and bolts and I immediately started the construction of my Darwin. In the hour or so that I had, I was able to construct the X-axis assembly, and take a bunch of step by step pictures for the briefing that I am making. Here is the first lot of photos:
Or view them here [s265.photobucket.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/2008 06:07PM by Jay Swift.

Jay
Re: The Epic Has Begun!!!
January 28, 2008 06:10PM
And some more!!!

Jay
January 29, 2008 07:35AM
Jay,

Nice stuff. I am really pleased to see an eeepc in the background. I don't currently have a laptop to run any of the software on and was considering an eeepc. How does it hold up to the job?

Do you run any 3d modelling programmes on it?

Joe
January 29, 2008 08:39AM
Well when I run ubuntu on it, the eee is a great computer. I got the 4G 400$ version, and I added a 50$ 2G RAM card to it to help with the modelling software(it seems to suck up a lot of ram). Asus's in house software underclocks the processor to 650 hz, and Ubuntu lets me run it at its rated 900hz. As far as performance goes, the eee has more than enough power to do the work of being the driveing computer for my printer.

Jay
March 27, 2008 06:58AM
Hi Jay,

Where did you source the RP parts? You parts look great even in the close up pictures. I'm currently ordering with Ian (BitsFromBytes.com) so I can only guess what quality I get. I do have faith in Ian that he does his best, but it's hard to know what to expect still...

Regards,

Erik

P.s. saw the EE PC at CeBIT, great little thing you've got there. Wouldn't know why anyone would ruin it with a windows installation though smiling smiley
March 27, 2008 09:02AM
Hey Erik,

If you've ordered your parts from Ian, then you've done the same as I have. The one thing you must watch out for however, is that Ian has made many of the parts fit together in only one sort of configuration (eg, nearly every corner bracket is different) I also had some trouble freeing up my z-axis. I don't know if it was purely user error, but I fixed it with some washers and super glue!!! Have a look and good luck with the building. Now if I could only figure out how to get stupid Ubuntu on my Asus.

Jay
March 27, 2008 10:15AM
Wait a minute. It looks like the threaded rod for the Z axis goes up through the top corner brackets. I didn't think it was supposed to do that.
March 27, 2008 11:21AM
Its not and it doesn't actually. I was having a problem with the threaded rod digging into the bottom corner brackets, thereby immobilizing my z-axis. I fixed it by just creating a hollow tube out of washers that would hold the top of the threaded rod in the correct position. Works like a charm! The threaded rods are still in their exact same position, I have just added two locked nuts at the top.

Jay
March 28, 2008 03:55AM
Jay has Mk1 parts the Mk2 stuff now has all the same corner blocks with separate motor mounts, more like Darwin (evolution!)

Regarding the Z axis i have the same problems i could not get the Z's to align well (maybe lack of effort!) so i moved the whole rod up such that it doesn't come through the lower block but does go up into the top block (Mk2 corner blocks more holes) This give the same result as Jay has achieved.

Ian
[www.bitsfrombytes.com]
March 28, 2008 04:04AM
Also Jay i see on the Y idle rod you have the Blazing Saddles brackets these are for the X carriage to give the bearings some help see Viks blog called Blazing Saddles (not everyone uses them)

Ian
[www.bitsfrombytes.com]
April 02, 2008 08:59AM
Ian, could you elaborate on what you were saying

Jay
April 07, 2008 03:44AM
Hi Jay

Basically the same as you have done except instead of adding washer I moved the threaded rod up into the top block (the MK2 has a hole) you would need to drill this hole, even this is not 100%.

I have a design that I'm going to try tomorrow to add bearings to the Z axis it is a very easy flat cut addition that can be fitted without taking the Darwin apart, if it works I'll post the results.

eD is also working on a belt tensioner again retro fit-able so hopefully by the end of the week we will have a 100% working and easy to set up Z axis smiling smiley

Ian
[www.bitsfrombytes.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login