Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Anyone in the area that can help me?

Posted by Jon_Holland 
Anyone in the area that can help me?
July 10, 2011 12:47AM
I am a newcomer to these forums.For 3-D printing, I'm a longtime dreamer, but a recent serious thinker. I live in north Fort Worth, Texas, and I dont have the cash or income reliability to buy a kit on ebay. Is there anyone in my area that could print me the parts? I might be able to get the electronics on my own, if I knew a better place than google to look. Any advice in that direction would help as well.
Re: Anyone in the area that can help me?
July 10, 2011 12:48AM
A bit too far east for me to help. In NZ

July 10, 2011 12:54AM
Oh well, thanks for the thought at least. The main reason I want my own 3D printer is because I come up with some amazing gift ideas for my family, but can never manage to actually produce a physical object.
July 19, 2011 04:50AM
Anyone, he asks hopefully?confused smiley
July 19, 2011 02:33PM
I'm UK-based, but take a look at the world reprap map [maps.google.com] There seem to be a couple of people around Dallas, though I'm not sure how you go about contacting them. They may have the same name on the google maps as their username here. Don't be surprised by the deafening silence if you are asking for free parts.

However, the printed parts are really not the most expensive part - the electronics and the motors can easily make up half of the cost. You can scavenge motors and gears from old inkjet or laser printers. As an alternative to scrounging plastic parts, you can make the frame to support the axes in lots of different ways; look at the various repstraps on the wiki [www.reprap.org] many of which are made of cheap materials; something like this [www.thingiverse.com] would be cheap as it's just ply and can be built with simple tools. But the electronics are still going to cost. Look at the wiki [reprap.org]
If you're aiming to keep the cost down, you can home etch RAMPS 1.2, but you still need to buy the components to populate the board.

Hope that helps!
July 19, 2011 08:12PM
Have a look on Deal xtreme or Alibaba websites for motors too

July 20, 2011 04:10AM
This guy on ebay always has lots of stepper motors at reasonable prices, and is US-based: [shop.ebay.com]
July 21, 2011 06:43AM
Yes, those help a lot! thanks, guys! now I just need a good, legal way to get ~75 bucks...
July 21, 2011 09:45AM
How about [www.123donate.com] ?! They have a facility in Dallas...
July 21, 2011 12:33PM
I'm in waco, if I get my hunk o' junk doing anything worth saving in the near future I'll hook you up, keep in mind though, its a hunk of crap so don't get your hopes too high.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login