Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Ultimaker Bowden question

Posted by jbayless 
Ultimaker Bowden question
August 04, 2011 01:03AM
Hi everyone,

Just wondering if anyone who has an Ultimaker, or was involved in its design, could give me a hand with this. I'd also be happy to hear from other Bowden cable users.

I'm designing a bowden feed for my Repstrap right now, and I'd like to use quick-fit couplings (or something similar), and choose an appropriate feed tube. I noticed that the Ultimaker uses these kinds of couplings and seems to have an effective setup. But puzzlingly, there doesn't appear to be any bill of materials for the Ultimaker, or at least I haven't been able to find one, so I can't find what kind of tube and fittings have been used. There isn't very much documentation about Bowden cables on the wiki, either.

In Ed's post about bowden cables, he mentions using a 1/4" OD, 1/8" ID tube as it gives enough clearance for the 3 mm filament. I'd prefer not to restrict myself to imperial couplings unless necessary, so it would be great to know if Ultimaker uses the same types of tube and whether they can get away with some kind of metric couplings. (I do know that M6 screws have been found to work, but push-fit couplings would suit my purposes better). I'm also curious to know if the thinner 3/16" OD tube has been tried successfully as a bowden cable, as it would reduce the spring loading on the axes.

Thanks for your help everyone,

Jacob
Re: Ultimaker Bowden question
November 21, 2011 08:06AM
Hey Jacob, I am trying looking at the same. I used nuts to hold bowden for 3mm filament and would like now to try 1.7mm filament and thus relative bowden, but cannot understand how to keep it in place.
Did you solve the problem? wouldyou be able to point me in the right direction?
Thanks
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login