Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Broken M6 barrel

Posted by N0M4dIC 
Broken M6 barrel
August 21, 2011 02:59PM
Hi everyone! Since my last topic, I received my Prusa Components, built the frame and the RAMPS board. Now I'm working on my hot end, a Makergear Plastruder hot end kit bought from Ultimachine. I'm more of an electronic guy so the manual part of the instructions gives me a little trouble. And well, I broke the M6 heater barrel while attempting to secure the nozzle.

That seriously sucks, since I it's expensive (to ship to canada) for just a damn barrel and because I can't find one of the same in my favorite stores.

Is there any way I can fix it? Or everything will leak and scrap the whole hot end?

Thanks for your help! I hope I can fix this situation before I get completely crazy.

Dan

EDIT: Sorry for the horrible picture. Apparently I didn't use the macro properly.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/21/2011 05:28PM by N0M4dIC.
Re: Broken M6 barrel
August 21, 2011 05:29PM
Okay, if I can't fix it, I'll buy one from Makergear tomorrow. I guess it's the only solution...
September 14, 2011 10:11AM
How did you solve it? I just did the same thing and besides being expensive the shipping would take too long to Finland…
September 14, 2011 10:36AM
I contacted a reprapper in Europe with some extras and he'll send you one. Will send details via email.

Rick
September 14, 2011 02:45PM
Cheers Rick,

Any suggestion for tightening the heater barrel some other way than with the two bolts? I suppose that the bolt closer to the nozzle isn't supposed to spin when you twist the outer one, but mine did and I can't readily come up with another solution with the stuff that I have here. A bolt closed at one end made of tougher metal than the nozzle might work, but am I missing some more obvious solution?
September 14, 2011 04:37PM
just tighten the two nuts together (jam nuts) and turn the outer nut to tighten the barrel into the nozzle (please follow the instructions exactly)....i do it all the time.
September 14, 2011 07:36PM
About that... Well, I ended up buying two of 'em from Makergear, and now my Prusa is fonctionnal (but not calibrated yet). I should have posted that in the IRC before. Thanks anyway Rick. The chocolate in that package was delicious! (Yeah I got dark chocolate in my package containing the barrels from Makergear)

EDIT: I just want to add that following the instructions exactly ''caused'' the problem! I couldn't tighten it 1/4 turn but I tried it anyway, breaking the barrel. I just tightened the new the most I could and everything is working perfect!

Dan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/14/2011 07:39PM by N0M4dIC.
September 15, 2011 07:25PM
Unless you were fastening a barrel with 2mm bore to one of the older style nozzles, a 1/4 turn works perfectly. I've done many, many times.

The best place for support, though, is the MakerGear IRC channel

Rick
September 18, 2011 02:43AM
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login