Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Printing software on 2017?

Posted by Hauser 
Printing software on 2017?
August 14, 2017 03:08AM
Hi all,

I've been off the grid for quite some time rgarding 3d printing and it's time to start again.

I'm looking for all I need to start from zero and I noticed that Pronterface hasn't been updated for more than 2 years now.

Is it still reliable? is there any good free alternative to print from the computer? I'm working with a Prusa i3 and OSX

Thanks a lot in advance,
Re: Printing software on 2017?
August 14, 2017 03:57AM
Pronterface is still very reliable, lot of people don't like it because is not all glitzy and glamorous, which is the same reason I like it

the github shows recent activity [github.com]

The pre made binaries at [kliment.kapsi.fi] are somewhat out of date... I would go with the code from the guthub, if you can.

Cura is also quite popular [ultimaker.com] It not just for ultimaker

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/14/2017 03:58AM by Dust.
August 14, 2017 09:56AM
Also take a look at Repetier host/firmware has a nice 'glitzy' interface and i find it very reliable.
August 14, 2017 04:28PM
Thank you both for your responses!
October 19, 2017 04:54PM
Ive been using Cura for some time now on my i3 with great results.
Tried Kissclicer and Slic3r and didnt care for them.
October 20, 2017 06:57AM
Users of Duets and now also Alligator boards running RepRapFirmware don't use a host program, because the web interface provides all that functionality and a lot more besides. See [reprap.org].

You still need to use a slicer to generate the GCode file. The most popular ones right now seem to be the Prusa edition of Slic3r, Cura, and Simplify3D. As you have to pay for Simplify3D and it doesn't seem to be improving as fast as the other two (which are free), I expect its popularity to decline.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login