Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Linux Mint and Pronterface

Posted by Freebird01 
Linux Mint and Pronterface
September 20, 2015 09:08AM
So in an effort to cut the tether to my primary laptop and still be able to run my delta printer I took an old netbook i have (Asus Eee 1015pe N450 atom 1gig ram) and flashed it with Linux Mint 17.2 to boost the performance over win7 starter. that all worked out well. i have pronterface installed and got it to connect to the printer. it will send g-code just fine and no issues with homing or bed probing.

My issue is after hitting the Print button...no 3 seconds later pronterface is killed/shut down and my machine stops.

I have the power management settings set so it will not shut down the PC. I disabled the screen saver function. I have no other programs running other then pronterface. I am using Slic3r on my primary laptop to generate the g-code so all the netbook is doing is running the printer.

why would it keep killing the process like that?

forgive my questions as I am a compleye newb when it comes to linux. I have never used it before. I am not trying to learn it per say just trying to get a basic printer controller setup. i thnk win7 might have been too big of a resource hog.
Re: Linux Mint and Pronterface
October 02, 2015 08:12AM
Linux Mint 17.2 and Pronterface work well on my normal computer. (old dual core intel)
Maybe your graphic driver has some issues with the 3d preview? You could try to use just 2D instead. Maybe this helps.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/02/2015 08:12AM by Wurstnase.

Triffid Hunter's Calibration Guide --> X <-- Drill for new Monitor Most important Gcode.
October 02, 2015 09:28AM
I gave up....

I am not an IT guy nor have ever played with Linux. I wasn't doing this to learn the program just wanted to help make a netbook run a tad faster for a specific application.

I ended up putting Win7starter back on it with a clean install. That worked and I've been printing with it and have no issues. It's notably slower then Mint was but it works and doesn't error out right away like Mint did.

I upgraded it to 2gig of ram and will eventually put in an ssd to replace the spinning disk drive which will help with speed also.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/02/2015 09:28AM by Freebird01.
October 03, 2015 06:38AM
I have a crappy netbook that had xp on it that I ran pronterface off of. Worked ok but the screen was too small (only issue).
October 03, 2015 09:15AM
Yea I don't feel like that's an issue. I'm not working on it...all I'm doing is loading a gcode file and hitting print with it
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login