Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Pronterface gets hung up when connecting, MKS SBase 1.3 Marlin 2.0

Posted by HugoW 
Pronterface gets hung up when connecting, MKS SBase 1.3 Marlin 2.0
December 01, 2019 01:29PM
Hi,

I run Marlin 2.0 (32bit) on my MKS SBase controller and all is working fine. Now I need to autotune the bed PID as I just fitted a heated bed, so I installed Pronterface. I connected the controller to the lapttop via USB, the laptop tells me it found a USB Marlin device so there is certainly some communication going on, otherwise the laptop wouldn't have known it's Marlin. But when I open Pronterface and connect, Pronterface gets hung up. Nothing reacts anymore. I have the correct port and Baud rate. What to try next?

Thanks,

Hugo
Re: Pronterface gets hung up when connecting, MKS SBase 1.3 Marlin 2.0
December 01, 2019 03:01PM
I have an identical problem with my Anycubic Kossel Linear Plus (Trigorilla board) after updating to Marlin 1.1.9. However, it works perfectly with Repetier-Host. Both have the correct settings (I believe).

I'll be following this topic with interest!
December 01, 2019 03:06PM
Thanks, I just downloaded Repetier after it being recommended on Fakebook. Now my kids are asleep and I cannot try it on the printer, but I will tomorrow.

I also found a youtube clip (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpWCKNagjuI) and this guy needs to hit reset while pronterface is connecting, otherwise it does not work. I will give that a shot, too, or maybe you can try it before I can and report back.

Cheers,

Hugo

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/2019 03:27PM by HugoW.
December 01, 2019 03:49PM
Unfortunately the reset button is hidden deep in the bowels of the delta printer...

Oops! I just watched the video - I was thinking of the wrong "reset" button!

(I'm on Linux, BTW.)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/2019 03:54PM by David J.
December 01, 2019 04:45PM
UPDATE: I can confirm that clicking on reset DOES complete the connection. drinking smileysmileys with beer
December 02, 2019 01:01PM
Great, good for you. No such luck here. I just cannot connect. Bummer. Ideas welcome!

[EDIT] I just found this, I will give that a go soon.
[github.com]
[/EDIT]

Hugo

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/2019 01:35PM by HugoW.
December 02, 2019 04:10PM
Here's what finally got me there: go into Settings -> Options -> Printer settings tab. Try setting TCP Streaming mode, RPC Server, and DTR to false (the last 2 are true by default). In my case, if any of these three were set to true I couldn't make a proper connection.

It may not work in your situation, but anything's worth a try!
December 02, 2019 05:20PM
Did you set a serial port to -1 in your Configuration.h?

As -1 is serial over USB

Also with this type of serial over USB, Baud rates are ignored. So that isn't the problem.

You also say the computer identifies the board as marlin?? well it shouldn't, it only turns up as a serial port and a usb drive. (perhaps your sd card is labeled marlin, or this is a windows thing...)
December 03, 2019 10:43AM
Dust
Did you set a serial port to -1 in your Configuration.h?

As -1 is serial over USB

Also with this type of serial over USB, Baud rates are ignored. So that isn't the problem.

You also say the computer identifies the board as marlin?? well it shouldn't, it only turns up as a serial port and a usb drive. (perhaps your sd card is labeled marlin, or this is a windows thing...)

Is that documented anywhere? It certainly isn't in the configuration.h comments...

Rewind: I just found it in the Marlin documentation web pages. Not exactly well described...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/2019 10:46AM by David J.
December 03, 2019 03:26PM
Well, I set the serial port to -1, and got a compilation error.

More study required, methinks...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/2019 03:27PM by David J.
December 04, 2019 02:19AM
I set the serial port to -1, default was 0. Compiled with no problems, printer now connects. Now I need to manually adjust the PID values until the bed actually heats high enough for the autotune to work... It now doesn't go over 40 degrees, so I think I need to raise the P value considerably for it even to work. But, we have communication.

Cheers,

Hugo
December 04, 2019 03:14AM
@David

The Trigorilla is a 8 bit mega2560 based board It uses a usb/serial converter chip that connects to a real serial port on the controllers processor ie serial ports [0..3]. (If you use serial over usb, you must leave this as 0)

The MKS SBase 1.3 is a 32 bit board based on a lpc1768. the serial port can be physical or virtual over USB. The USB is directly connected to the controllers processor.
The serial ports are from [-1..3]

With virtual serial ports the baud rate is ignored. With physical serial ports the baud rates must match at both ends

Your issue is not the same as Hugo's issue.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/04/2019 03:30AM by Dust.
December 04, 2019 04:30PM
Ah - my error. It was pure coincidence that the symptoms were so similar!

However, I have gained from this dialogue, even if Hugo has not (sorry, Hugo) - I now know that I can connect properly if I click on the Reset button in Pronterface.

Thanks to Dust for putting me in my place very politely, as I have been on other forums where such a mistake would have earned someone's great wrath! thumbs up

Cheers,
David
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login