Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Pronterface Settings for MakerGear M2E?

Posted by gwhite 
Pronterface Settings for MakerGear M2E?
September 28, 2022 06:39PM
I've been using Simplify3D's control panel with my printer since I bought it in 2017, and it works fine. However, I don't think S3D is long for this world, given the multi-year delay in releasing any updates. If the company goes belly up, the server that authenticates the software could get shut down, and that might be the end of it.

As a backup plan, I have installed Pronterface, and I have it talking to the printer. I've set the build volume to match the M2E, and I've tweaked the feed rates to the ones I use in S3D. I've verified that all the XY&Z commands move in the right direction.

That's about all I need for my immediate purposes (changing filament, mostly). However, I'd like to make sure I have it fully configured so I can do more advanced things in the future. Under Settings - Options - Settings, the entries I'm not sure about are the home positions, and the Z offset. I really don't like slamming the hardware into things, so I'm trying to be extra careful.

I'm pretty sure the X&Y home positions are at zero, which is the default. On the M2E, the Z-axis limit switch is with the bed at the bottom, which would be Z = +200 mm (I think). Is that what I need to enter in the "Z Home Pos." box?

The Z offset box is the last mystery. I know there is an offset set in the firmware during bed-leveling so that a Z=0 command gets to the correct height. I assume that if Pronterface tells the bed to go to Z=0, the firmware offset is applied automatically, and it all works. Should I leave the offset = 0, or do I need to query the firmware and put the Z offset into Pronterface?

Thanks!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login