Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Prusa i3 to CNC Router

Posted by ankit_jain 
Prusa i3 to CNC Router
March 24, 2015 02:21PM
Hello every one,

I want to convert my Prusa i3 3D printer to CNC Router using my Dremel with Flexible shaft like this.

I found the one project on instructables.com at here [www.instructables.com]

They give config for Mega 2560 as CNC router. But i don't know how to generate g-code for these cnc router.
and what mechnical change are done in my prusa i3.

Please help me to generate g-code from STL, DXF and Image(PNG or SVG) files to use with this type of cnc router.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/2015 02:22PM by ankit_jain.
Re: Prusa i3 to CNC Router
March 24, 2015 02:24PM
Here is the marlin firmware for cnc
[github.com]

i there any one use this with prusa i3.
March 24, 2015 04:45PM
Hi,
Usually it is not recommended to use the mechanism of a Prusa i3 for CNC routing, because the forces and vibrations generated for routing jobs are not compatible with the components and general chassis structure of the Prusa i3 (the same applies to most 3D printers, actually). Also, let's be realistic, a 200x200mm bed size is usually too small for any real CNC jobs.

I would suggest you consider building a proper CNC router, even a low-cost one will do a much better job than a modified Prusa i3.
March 24, 2015 11:23PM
Hi @AndrewBCN, you are right but i have very little (150x150mm) cnc 2-3 jobs and for 3 jobs i can not make the full CNC router, i try to find a cnc router near my home but there are no one have cnc. that's why i try with my prusa i3.

Please help me with it.
April 24, 2015 06:38PM
Andrew is correct i think the lightest cnc job you could do is circuit boards routing but the structure isn't strong enough for anything more

Check my rubbish blog for my prusa i3

up and running
[3dimetech.blogspot.co.uk]
April 26, 2015 09:06AM
To quote Dirty Harry, "A man has to understand his limitations." Understanding your equipment goes a long way here as well. I'll betcha that the I3 frame can do CNC work but one has to be cognizant of the limitations of the machine. I don't see it doing hogging out operations on 6061 aluminum billet. Anything can be done when one sets their mind to it. As long as the forces on the axes don't exceed what the system can handle, there is no reason not to make the unit into a hobbyist grade CNC machine. With that realization set, go forth and try it. I would think that the weak points will be frame flexing, holding torque on the steppers, and GT2 belt stretch. This is where experimentation comes into play - understanding what the machine is capable of and accommodating for those capabilities. This is how the art is advanced.

In reference to the needed G/M-coding, absent of any interpretation issues with the firmware running the I3, I would suspect just changing the program to create the G-coding would only be needed. This is exclusive of any machine setup issues. I am myself starting to get into 3D operations myself and I am of the mindset that "impossible" is a statement of difficulty.
April 26, 2015 09:28PM
This might be helpful

Hacking Your CNC Toolchain
April 30, 2015 09:34PM
so what you want to cnc obviously metal is out the question but there will be a lot of limitations the strength of a i3 you got to take not just the material your cutting the depth of which you are cutting, speeds. but go ahead MAKE MY DAY. a frame with plastic parts are going to manage cnc router jobs like i said it will route pcb board and probably thin fibreglass but thats it. im building a shapeoke 2 and that has its limitations to and thats a cnc router. I work with cncs all day at work and even big machinery has limitations to there's is a purpose for design for instance you want a 3d printer have a 3d printer you want a cnc router go out and build one don't try to use a 3d printer and expect it do a cnc routers job. because it wont and if so it be painfully slow

Check my rubbish blog for my prusa i3

up and running
[3dimetech.blogspot.co.uk]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login