Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

x and y moving together?sad smiley

Posted by Ruan 
x and y moving together?sad smiley
July 04, 2015 12:32PM
hi there

well after struggeling with a decoupled extruder heater wich had a broken wire soldered it back on and was working 100% started a print and everything was going well accept for step skipping on the z axis due to bend 5m rod bought a new rod putted it in and the next day when i wanted to print something the z axis moved with the x axis when homing x so i moved the x axis manually to check if the fault is still present and yes it was when the x axis move's 50 the z axis moves about 2-5mm? or so i did have this fault before but it was because of stepper plugs that were connected wrong so i checked each wire each plug even tried switching the wire's around of the axis but doesn't matter which wire is where the x axis keeps moving with the z axis as well tried switching the step sticks around fault still stayed but it's only when the x axis moves that the z moves as well but when the z axis is moved manually the x axis doesn't also check both the arduino and the RAMPS1.4 bord if it was blown anywhere but from the eye it doesn't look blown
and unless the firmware magically changed to delta printer i have no other ideas what could be wrong

any help would be appreciated!
best Regards
Ruan Nel
Re: x and y moving together?sad smiley
July 04, 2015 01:14PM
idontunderstandasinglethingofwhatyoutriedtoexplaintousmaybeyoushouldusesome,,, ,,. ?

Thank you
Olaf
July 04, 2015 01:20PM
hi there

well after struggeling with a decoupled extruder heater wich had a broken wire, soldered it back on and IT was working 100%
started a print, and everything was going well accept for step skipping on the z axis due to A bent 5m rod, bought a new rod putted it in.
the next day when i wanted to print something the z axis moved with the x axis when homing x.
so i moved the x axis manually to check if the fault is still present and yes it was.
when the x axis move's 50mm the z axis moves about 2-5mm? or so.
i did have this fault before but it was because of stepper plugs that were connected wrong, so i checked each wire each plug even tried switching the wire's around of the axis but doesn't matter which wire is where the x axis keeps moving with the z axis(on the bord).
as well tried switching the step sticks around but the fault still remained.
it's only when the x axis moves that the z moves and not vise versa.
and unless the firmware magically changed to delta printer i have no other ideas what could be wrong.

any help would be appreciated!
best Regards
Ruan Nel
July 04, 2015 01:36PM
OK, much better now grinning smiley
What board do you have? Ramps, megatronics, minitronics, smoothieboard, etc.?
Also tell us, what board did you set in "marlin" ? ( 33? )
If it´s a Ramps, it is hard to understand, why x and z run at the same time, because they are in different corners of the board.
-Olaf
July 04, 2015 01:44PM
hi

thanks for the fast replie Olaf

sorry about the first post confused smiley and yes i have a RAMPS 1.4 running on repetier would it help if i post the config.h?
i don't really think it could be the firmware because i have been printing for a long while now with the firmware thats
on the arduino

Thats what i cant understand as well and if it was open wires touching then it would have been vise versa as well
and it isn't

just hope i can get the problem

Regards
Ruan
July 04, 2015 02:18PM
i also noticed now when the x axis hits the endstop and you keep turning the knob on the controller ....
the x axis stops but the z axis keeps going as you turn the knob
July 04, 2015 02:22PM
Chances are, the x-stepper wants to follow z-stepper, too.
But for z-axis the steps/mm are much higher, so the x-stepper wont be able to follow.

I checked pins.h and the x&z step-pins are not close to each other on the Mega board. Maybe they are neighbors on the Ramps-connectors?
Did you check the boards for solder-ooopsies?

Just wild guessing...
-Olaf
July 04, 2015 02:30PM
well i bought the ramps as a complete and was working with no problems accept i needed to solder on a bridge for the servo to work and well it was working for probably about a month and then this started? so could it still be a solder oopsie? and can it be that some how the pins.h or even any other coding could have changed during power outage's or by some other cause?
July 05, 2015 02:38AM
If you have an uncleaned PCB, it can carry a lot off splattered solder. Usually they stick to the PCB, but a little heat can set them free.
This solder can cause problems, when it starts to wander around on the PCB and rolls between two electronic pins.

Changes in the flashed memory of the controller are very unlikely, but EEprom values can change as well as the settings in the slicer/host.
But I can´t think of any setting, that causes x&z to move together.
-Olaf
July 05, 2015 02:52AM
hi Olaf

thanks a lot for the help
i do think as well that somewhere between some misterious pins there is maybe dust build up or even as you said solder some where thats touching 2 or more pins.
i have checked the bords, and they look like dirty spots, but you can barley see them and some pins have solder on that rolled around as you said
but non of them are touching each other
might it be that the arduino could have made a short during a power outage and due to that having 2 places/pins touching each other now?

regards Ruan
July 05, 2015 03:03AM
Makes sense, when the short on the arduino has caused the power shortage?

I´d replace Ramps first, to see if the error is gone, then the arduino board.
Good for us, they are cheap and always available . smiling smiley
-Olaf

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/05/2015 03:03AM by o_lampe.
July 05, 2015 03:09AM
hahaha yes true smiling bouncing smiley was think to go to my friend with the boards and 2 steppers and as you sed first try his ramps on my arduino
then my ramps on his arduino and see what happens
the power shortage was caused of a tumbledryer well thats what we thinkconfused smiley

regards
Ruan
July 05, 2015 03:42AM
well another bummer i tested between al the x and z pins on the arduino and ramps
as well as the dir and step on the step sticks
and there aren't any connections between them

which other pins can i test for a connection between them that can cause the x and z to move together?

regards
Ruan
July 05, 2015 03:47AM
seems like everything is pointing to a firmware glitch?
July 05, 2015 03:55AM
You can try to reflash it.
Before you flash the new marlin-FW it is a good idea to flash the "eeprom-clear" program. It is part of the "example/eeprom" files in arduinoIDE.
Then you can be sure, you have a clean chip.
-Olaf
July 05, 2015 04:02AM
oh you got to be kidding me it was the firmware now i spliced everything for nothing sad smiley

but anyway thx a lot for the help Olaf! its much appreciated smiling bouncing smiley

Best Regards
Ruan
July 08, 2015 01:54AM
hi

well after putting everything together and again
printed something ,well just a test print and everything was going smooth
until the next morning it started doing the same again
wiped the eeprom and flashed the software again and it was fixed again
but for how long?

what could cause this change in the eeprom?

best regards
Ruan Nel
July 08, 2015 01:58AM
after homing once it started to move the z axis with the x axis againsad smileyhot smiley
July 08, 2015 09:23AM
Ruan
after homing once it started to move the z axis with the x axis againsad smileyhot smiley

Are you kidding?!
Try sending M502 & M500 commands next time, instead of reflashing the firmware.
This will load the default settings and store the values ( again ) in eeprom.

Seems to be an arduino-board problem.
-Olaf
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login