Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Help me make this thing quieter.

Posted by msaeger 
Help me make this thing quieter.
July 28, 2015 07:43PM
This is on the folgertech 2020 i3

I am trying to eliminate the Y axis vibrating noise that I am getting. It is the same noise the person who posted this youtube video is having. [www.youtube.com]

I can't replicate it by using the manual controls in Repetier it seems to depend on the speed the bed is moving. I have tried using the dry run feature in Repetier but it doesn't work for me.

Any troubleshooting ideas would be great or if you know what it is that would be even better.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/29/2015 10:44PM by msaeger.

Newbie with Folgertech 2020 i3.
Re: Y axis noise
July 28, 2015 08:40PM
Judging from the noise it made, it seems like the rails are somewhat loose, making it vibrate
July 28, 2015 09:40PM
sarf2k4
Judging from the noise it made, it seems like the rails are somewhat loose, making it vibrate

The Y axis smooth rods are tight in the blocks on the frame.

It also seems like it gets worse after it has been printing for awhile.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/28/2015 11:00PM by msaeger.

July 28, 2015 11:22PM
What about swapping the motor to another axis?

Also the pot current and motor temp during the run?
July 29, 2015 12:24AM
The Y motor is actually larger than the others so I can't try to swap them. I have been printing for about 5 hours and the Y motor is still cold.

July 29, 2015 02:20AM
Try increase the motor current on step stick pot, let it somewhat warm to touch, if you have something to measure the temp, let it be around 30'c
July 29, 2015 02:57AM

Try increase the motor current on step stick pot, let it somewhat warm to touch

How would this help against the noise?

The rattling sound is clearly a sign of cheap linear bearings. You can try to use grease instead of oil on the rods ( better: IN the bearings ) or buy better bearings.
-Olaf

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/29/2015 02:59AM by o_lampe.
July 29, 2015 07:46AM
I found last night after my print was done when the bed was still hot if I slowly slid the bed by pushing in the front edge center I got the noise. I am going to try some grease in the bearings and maybe some kind of pad between the bearing blocks and the metal bed.

Any recommendations for grease?

July 29, 2015 07:48PM
I tried some grease in the bearings and that didn't get rid of the noise I used Krytox because I had some. It doesn't happen until after it has been printing a while so it has to be something changing with the heat right?

Re: Help me make this thing quieter.
July 30, 2015 06:58AM
That´s why I like the classic prusa threaded rod y-carrier better. The threaded- and smooth rods are both steel with the same temp-coefficient.
No misalignment from different temp- expansion.
You can try to loosen the clamps on one side of the smooth rods. So they can float axially instead of deforming the hole frame.
-Olaf
July 30, 2015 08:45AM
[www.youtube.com]

at about 4:30 he starts talking about resonance... could be the problem. I have the folger tech 2020 as well and I also get the Y axis noise. In my limited testing I've found the noise to be dependent on the shape of the print and the speed. You can't really change the shape of the print, but I have found that lowering the speed or feed rate, usually helps.
July 30, 2015 09:19AM
My Y axis is the quietest on my Folger 2020. My x-axis however....... sounds exactly like that video. And to be honest, I think its cheap bearings and or an alignment issue. It gets louder with resonance, but is still there the whole time regardless. I have tried everything short of replacing the bearings. I thought about bushings, but mine has gotten a lot quieter with time, so it doesnt bother me much anymore.

Also my Y motor is ice cold, even after 14+ hours of printing. So I don't think that the motor has much to do with it. I just think these bearings are super cheap with poor tolerances allowing them to rattle. If anybody has made the switch to bushings please chime in. I haven't decided if I want to or not yet.

My creations/2020 aluminum parts/FolgerTech i3 upgrades [www.thingiverse.com]
July 30, 2015 01:01PM
I am starting to think maybe it's so loud because it's being amplified from the table. I tried placing the printer on a carpet tile with attached pad and that made no difference but it's not a very thick pad.

July 30, 2015 01:23PM
mel0n
My Y axis is the quietest on my Folger 2020. My x-axis however....... sounds exactly like that video. And to be honest, I think its cheap bearings and or an alignment issue. It gets louder with resonance, but is still there the whole time regardless. I have tried everything short of replacing the bearings. I thought about bushings, but mine has gotten a lot quieter with time, so it doesnt bother me much anymore.

Also my Y motor is ice cold, even after 14+ hours of printing. So I don't think that the motor has much to do with it. I just think these bearings are super cheap with poor tolerances allowing them to rattle. If anybody has made the switch to bushings please chime in. I haven't decided if I want to or not yet.

My behaves exactly the same way. I found one thing that was vibrating was the left vertical smooth rod in the motor holder at the top. If I jammed it in there or held it, most of the noise went away. I haven't gone looking for a solution since it doesn't seem to affect anything (except my nerves).
July 30, 2015 03:41PM
markts
mel0n

My behaves exactly the same way. I found one thing that was vibrating was the left vertical smooth rod in the motor holder at the top. If I jammed it in there or held it, most of the noise went away. I haven't gone looking for a solution since it doesn't seem to affect anything (except my nerves).

Had the same thing on the right smooth rod. I also think my X axis got quieter after some use. I now just want to get rid of the Y axis vibration and replace the PSU fan with a quieter one.

Do you think it would be worth printing some plastic bushings to try?

July 30, 2015 06:04PM
I also had a lot of Y axis noise. I was thinking of plastic bearings, and printed several designs, but all of them had high static friction. That is, when I applied a force to them they stuck then suddenly moved. I was doing this by hand with them on a spare piece of chrome rod, so it might not be an issue when driven by a motor.

I started to take apart the Y assembly to replace the bearings with some new LM8UUs, and in doing so found that the bearing mounts were not completely tight. The nylock nuts were apparentlyt right, but were actually in some cases as 1mm down the M3 screw away from the mount. When I tightened it up, most of the noise went away. It was mostly the aluminum plate vibrating and sounded very like that video. There is still a little noise on very slow and very fast long Y moves probably from a bad bearing, but the nasty resonance as in the video has gone away. I used to notice it most on 45% infills, and now no longer get this.

See my blog at [moosteria.blogspot.com].
July 30, 2015 07:16PM
I got a 1/4" thick silicone pad at a surplus store today and put a 4"x6" piece under each corner and that has made the printer quieter. I took them out during a print and it got much louder. I don't know about the rattle noise that I started the tread about I didn't hear that with or without the pads today yet. I wonder if a big pad under the whole machine would be better or worse?

July 30, 2015 10:30PM
I pulled out the fan from the power supply and it's 60mm x 16mm and it's a two wire one but it says that it's 16v on the tag? What can I do to get a quieter fan in there? I could just get an ATX power supply I guess but it wouldn't really fit on there nice like this one does. I suppose I could just wire a 12v one to the 12v output on the power supply but then the power supply couldn't control the speed.

I am seeing threads about using an xbox 360 psu is that really enough power?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/30/2015 11:08PM by msaeger.

July 31, 2015 11:20PM
I got a 60 mm fan and ran it off the 12v out on the PSU it was as loud as the one in there already. How much output do I need to run this machine? I am thinking I will just get a passively cooled PSU but the largest I can find is 20A.

October 18, 2015 09:58AM
I now think the vibration noise I am getting is from only using one bearing on one side of the Y axis. I printed another bearing holder and drilled some more holes in the bed plate so I could attach 4 holders to the plate. After doing this I do not get the noise but I did not get the holes located perfectly.

Has anyone found a good printable Y carriage or a plate I can buy that will accept 4 bearings? I see many printable ones but an not sure if they would be good.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/18/2015 10:02AM by msaeger.

October 19, 2015 04:06AM
I got a badly drilled acrylic y-frog with my sintron i3 kit. I had to drill the holes 4mm wide to make it run smoothly. I used washers and nyloc nuts to fix the bearings, once aligned.
-Olaf
October 24, 2015 11:23AM
I'm having same kind of noise from my extruder. If I connect it to the pins of another axis, it runs smoothly, without problems, but on the pins of E0 it trembles a lot, what's causing this noise, and worse, ribbled innacurate prints. I'm starting to think perhaps my stepper skips some steps (problem on the ramps board?) I can eleminate bad wiring and bad stepper/extruder because it works fine on other axis.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login