Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

smart controller blacks out when inserting SD card

Posted by Nicken83 
smart controller blacks out when inserting SD card
October 31, 2015 10:00AM
When i print using pronterface i have a clear smartscreen (everything readable!), when i disconnect my pc, still no problem, but the moment i insert a SD card when not connected to PC The smart controller blacks out. At that moment it's still readable (very difficult from a specific angle), but the clearness can't be adjusted enough to make it comfortable to read.
Any ideas on this?
Using a reprap discount smart controller

Beginner with a Prusa I3, Sintron frame and extruder, Ramps 1.4, astrosyn steppers.
Re: smart controller blacks out when inserting SD card
October 31, 2015 02:14PM
There's a 3.3V regulator on the smartLCD for the SD-Card. Maybe something is shortening, when you plug in the card.
-Olaf
November 03, 2015 06:45AM
Have you tried a different SD card, especially a different micro card adapter (if using one).

D3
November 03, 2015 06:48AM
Yes I have, same problem.
Weird thing is it's only happening when I disconnect from PC. Also with no SD card inserted.
As long the printer is connected to PC, there is no problem.
First post in this thread isn't entirely correct.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/03/2015 06:50AM by Nicken83.
November 03, 2015 05:36PM
I've discovered that the display is getting a boost when RAMPS is plugged in usb. If i turn the contrast pot all the way down when plugged in, plug it out, and then turn the contrast up, it is slightly better. However when I pull the SD card out and put it back in, it is back to unreadable. Could this be a problem with the power supply? Where can check the power supply for the display?
November 06, 2015 06:49AM
The USB does supply power, so when not connected, there could be a supply problem. Not sure where to look though; there are many diagrams online.
November 10, 2015 11:26AM
So i figured out the display becomes readable when raising the power supply to 14V. I'm just not sure this voltage is acceptable for the Mega board...?
November 10, 2015 01:58PM
Another thing is, when not connected to pc, the main screen says "SD card inserted", but in the next menu it says "no SD card".
When connected to the pc, i can start a print from the SD using the smart controller without a problem. Could this be the same problem as the one described above?
November 17, 2015 06:35AM
I tried another RAMPS board, unfortunately without succes. 2 more options, bad lcd or bad volt regulator on mega board. I'm just not sure where I can measure the voltage to the display... Anyone can help me?
November 18, 2015 02:40AM
You can measure 5V on the endstop-headers.
If the arduino regulator doesn't supply sufficient power, you may switch to an external 5V source permanently ( 2 Amp USB-charger when not connected to PC or with OTG cable)
I prefer a RC-UBEC as 5V external power, but then you have to remove D2 on the Ramps.
-Olaf
November 18, 2015 03:37AM
Thx for the help!!
I measure only 3V when completely powered by psu. When usb is connected a solid 5V.
The psu however gives 12V as it supposed to.
I guess it will be the mega board... (Any solutions to solve this?)
For now I'm happy with Olaf's solution. I use a 5 V gsm adapter to power the mega board with the usb cable.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login