Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

X axis randomly changing position.

Posted by muntahunta 
X axis randomly changing position.
December 03, 2015 07:03AM
OK, it has been a while since I have had a problem with my prusa that I havn't been able to fix, but right now, im completely stuck.

The printer has been working fine for a month or two with no major problems, but all of a sudden, in the middle of my prints, the X axis is deciding to jump to the right.
i've attached an artists rendition below as I have no pictures at the moment.

The above artist rendition is an example of what is happening.
The X axis is starting the print in a different position. The Y and Z axis' are fine, and it isnt the motor skipping steps. It does it silently with no clicks or bangs.

I believe it is something to do with the software (nothing has changed with the software on the printer or computer since I started) and each model I have this is happening.

Anyone have any experience with this problem?
Re: X axis randomly changing position.
December 03, 2015 07:25AM
Do you have a fan on the drivers?
December 03, 2015 07:27AM
I do.

Here is an actual picture of it messing up multiple times in the first few layers of the print.

December 04, 2015 08:36AM
i've tried taking the entire x carriage apart and putting it back together with no luck.
Anyone have any ideas?
December 05, 2015 06:11AM
First thing to find out is if it happens at the same height or place in the print.
December 05, 2015 06:30AM
different every time. sometimes its once through the whole print. sometimes its many.
sometimes 3 layersin, sometimes 10, etc
December 06, 2015 08:08AM
Next thing is to cut the speed in half, and see if it helps.
December 06, 2015 07:05PM
i broke it down again (basically rebuild the entire carriage and extruder and it seems to have fixed. I think it was an excess of oil building up in the bearings. If not i'll update this when it does it again.
December 15, 2015 07:49AM
It's back.
i'm almost about to get a hammer.
December 16, 2015 03:47AM
OK, i have now took the entire x carriage apart and back together... it still jumps. here are my prints for a 2 hour print last night.

The jump is ALWAYS to the right.

the belt is tight, the motor is running fine. I'm baffled.
December 16, 2015 10:07AM
Put a cooling fan on the driver board and see if that helps. Looks like a driver is getting hot and as a result screwing things up.
December 16, 2015 11:08AM
The driver has two fans on. one intake and one out take into the box i printed. the intake is directly over the drivers.
im currently running at 70% speed and its still skipping. not on the same layer either.

Currently printing each letter seperatly now to minimize losing prints as i have orders to fill.

it fails around one in every 3 prints (40 mins print time at 70 percent speed)
December 16, 2015 11:09AM
the printer has been running for around 6 months and i've not seen this problem before.
December 16, 2015 12:10PM
Are you printing from an SD card or via a PC?
December 16, 2015 03:13PM
Via PC, using Repetier host.

4.5Ghz AMD 6300 Six Core
8GB DDR3 RAM
AMD HD7700 series graphics card.

nothing else running other than maybe watching a video every now and again. and its skipping when nothing else is running too.
December 16, 2015 03:40PM
It may be noise on the USB?
Maybe try change the USB cable or print from SD
December 16, 2015 03:43PM
i'll give it a go
December 16, 2015 04:35PM
I've not got an SD chip on my RAMPS, but i tried a different USB lead and it made no difference.
December 17, 2015 02:02AM
Recheck your stepper voltages. Bet the X-axis stepper motor is getting to hot and thermal protecting for a second. Can you touch the motor after it has been printing a while?
December 17, 2015 05:11AM
I could lick the motor if I wanted to haha.
The heat is fine.

I "Think" i've found the problem... but this is just a guess at the moment, it has worked for one 2 and a half hour print.
Basically the X endstop may be malfunctioning (maybe the wire has come loose or a connection somewhere just isnt quite right. Maybe I just need a new one.
The signal from the malfunctioning endstop is trigerring the carriage to go right every now and again.

Atleast this is my theory. I rewired the endstop and repositioned it somewhat, it has worked for one long print. i've set another away now, fingers crossed.
December 17, 2015 07:47PM
Hey I had that problem with my kit, one of the wires on the x axis was not crimped good. I replaced the wiring and haven't had a problem since.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login