Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Prusa i3 2020 no longer heats up

Posted by Blackbird 
Prusa i3 2020 no longer heats up
February 10, 2016 11:07PM
I've had my printer for bout 5 months and I've had some pretty consistent prints. I use it pretty often.

Been using it a lot this week but tonight the hot end has decided to stop heating up.

It tells me an accurate room temperature.

Sometimes when I pre-heat the hot end, it will heat up but immediately stops working when I begin a print. Other times I cannot even pre-heat the hot end. It always shows a temperature that appears accurate (room temperature, climbs at its usual speed when it does heat up).

I have made no changes to the software or hardware. I recently tightened the belts but I've had 2 successful prints since then, otherwise the hardware has been the same. I haven't even removed the SD card or made any changes to any software setting.

All the wires and plugs appear to be seated properly. I don't see any scorch marks or any damage anywhere. Any ideas?
Re: Prusa i3 2020 no longer heats up
February 12, 2016 06:07PM
It just so happens that MY hot end heating element gave up the ghost after the same amount of time. No wonder they sell them in bundles of 3,5, or 6.
You need to remove the wires from the RAMPS board and measure the resistance across the element. You need to see about 3.6 ohms. Mine actually showed about 140 ohms. Luckily I had a spare and I replaced it. Back running in about 1/2 hour!

Folger Tech 2020 i3 and FT-5 as well as modified JGAurora A5 with direct drive E3D/Titan. All running the BLTOUCH.
Great kits. Having fun and running the heck out of them.
Running Marlin 1.1.0 RC8 on the i3 and FT5. Custom firmware on A5.
Folger Tech Wiki board >[folgertech.wikia.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login