Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Editing Firmware for Prusa i3 variant Printer

Posted by hunterdoom 
Editing Firmware for Prusa i3 variant Printer
May 15, 2016 02:11PM
Hello everyone.

Printer being used: Hictop Prusa i3

Recently I've been wanting to edit my firmware to test out the x-y jerk/acceleration, however, I am still new in how to edit the microcontroller for 3D printers. My biggest issue is the number of different variants of the Prusa i3 series and I don't know what firmware I am suppose to look for and be able to edit and upload to my printer.

So my biggest questions are:

1) Do all prusa i3 variants use the same code to print (cpp, hex, h, etc)?
2) Where can I get my specific printers code?
3) For those using MatterControl, is the EEPROM window not able to change the settings on the microcontroller? I can't get the program to save any changes and every time I reopen the window, the settings still show all 0 (zeros).

Any help would be appreciated, been trying to solve warped edges and shifted layers during midprint.

Thank you

Hunterdoom
Re: Editing Firmware for Prusa i3 variant Printer
May 16, 2016 09:58AM
Hi Hunter,

In an effort to give you some kind of reply if only to help you look in the right places smiling smiley

I have a no name Prusa i3 which I built from a kit, the firmware (Marlin) it used was initially set up by the guy that sold me the kit.

Marlin is available from github but it requires specific configuration.h to compile for your specific printer setup (examples in the repository).

I got hold of my configuration.h file from my vendor and was then able to update to the latest firmware from Marlin and change some parameters. Note that I am a full time C++ developer and coding is natural to me so I was able to fix errors that occurred when doing this.

I note that HIC printers use Marlin also and so you might want to look for the up-to-date config

I use matterControl as well, but I have never set the eeprom side of things at all so can't help there.

HTH smiling smiley
May 16, 2016 11:28PM
Caribou
Hi Hunter,

Marlin is available from github but it requires specific configuration.h to compile for your specific printer setup (examples in the repository).

I note that HIC printers use Marlin also and so you might want to look for the up-to-date config

Hi Caribou,

I have some experience in C++ as well, but that github scares me because of how many files there are.... and I'm not sure what I'm suppose to save that second link's code as (h, cpp, hex, etc), unless that github has a document somewhere that shows what files I can't touch and which ones I can edit for my printers firmware.

Hunter
May 17, 2016 12:46AM
Save it as .h and install Arduino IDE, if you don't have it yet. You need it to upload your firmware into your printer.

This link explains what to edit in configuration.h and what the #define switches actually do.
[solidutopia.com]

This is the Github repo.
[github.com]
From the right hand side of the screen, select "download ZIP" and you get the complete package.

Now extract the package.

When you have arduino IDE installed, open the extracted directory and inside /marlin you will find a file named marlin.ino
Open marlin.ino in arduino IDE and it opens all the marlin files for you.

The file you want to edit is configuration.h
It is well commented and probably the only file you need to touch.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login