Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Might be a dumb question..

Posted by jared248371 
Might be a dumb question..
October 24, 2016 10:42PM
Hello,

I'm running a prusa i3 and I'm switching my stepper drivers to the trinamic TMC2100 steppers using the spreadcycle mode. While running them on my 12v system I noticed that there was an extremely painful to the ear hissing noise. The solution to this is more voltage as I concluded by messing with my PSU's potentiometer. I was curious (maybe this is just a general electricity question) but would increasing my PSU's voltage to 14v be of any harm? Are there any things I can do to compensate for the increase in voltage, or will I simply have to find another way? I'm using a chinese clone PSU but im making the switch to this one soon so that I don't have to live in fear: [www.amazon.com]

Any insight would be greatly appreciated, thank you!
Re: Might be a dumb question..
October 25, 2016 12:52AM
It depends on your electronics

for eg a ramps (im particular the mega under it) doesn’t take to kindly to more that 12v. the mega has a 5v regulator that already get too warm under normal operation, if you put > 12v it will probably die.

there are options...

1) remove D1 on the ramps, then the mega doesnt get 12v from the ramps, and needs a separate supply, either 12v to the dc in jack or your own 5v source to a 5v pin (unused enstops pins are good for this).

2) some people put the vmotor pins of stepper module in pointing up wards. Then wire in what ever voltage they want into those two pins. works well, means you don't have to worry about weird voltage going elsewhere but looks ugly.
October 25, 2016 02:04AM
Yeah that last thing you mentioned is a thing I was hoping to avoid, since i will be using 5 stepper drivers of this type. I am using an mks gen v1.4 board from anycubic
October 25, 2016 04:52AM
mks gen v1.4 doesn’t provide circuit diagrams...

but their wiring diagram does say it can be powered from 12-24v, so its been deigned for it

Just remember everything that was getting 12v will get the new voltage

fans may not like it....
hot end and heated bed should be fine... might need to re tune pid's
stepper drivers will be fine.
October 25, 2016 09:22AM
That voltage upper we discussed earlier.. Is it only possible to use that for one stepper driver, or could I utilize it for all five?
Also as far as the fans not liking the new voltage, would they just run faster and hotter? Or reject a voltage too high.

Thanks for all your help by the way
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login