Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

upgrade to dual extruder

Posted by skindeepfx 
upgrade to dual extruder
November 05, 2016 02:23PM
Greetings everyone
I am a proud new owner of a RepRap Guru Prusa I3 V2 and very happy with it
I buld it about a month ago and since then printed almost daily items for animatronics etc

i would like to print my supports in water soluble PVA ...So a dual extruder is on the horizon
could you point me in a direction of a good upgrade for this printer
i know that the Ramps board should be able to support dual extruder. Is there anything else that i need to know before making the decision to upgrade??

Thanks to all of you in advance

Michael
Re: upgrade to dual extruder
November 06, 2016 06:54AM
I had my fun with dual nozzle printing on a wobbly Prusa... The unused nozzle "always" scratches along the fresh printed tracks and rips them off the bed sad smiley
I also tested a china clone of the E3D Cyclops which is leaking so much, it doesn't build enough pressure in the nozzle to get a decent 1st. layer.
But that's a clone, sure the original is better quality. ( still E3D calls it's design "experimental" )
Right now I'm testing a diamond hotend with three filaments, so you'd need a 6th. driver port for that. Or you close one of the filament path's with a screw.

Anyway, with a printhead using Bowden style extrusion, be prepared to see lower quality parts than with direct drive.
Did you try printing support with only one nozzle/filament? Usually you get good results the easy way...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/06/2016 06:55AM by o_lampe.
November 06, 2016 08:36AM
Well the problem that i am facing is that the supports are sticking to much to the object
I am using Slic3r and can't seem to find the setting to allow for a bit more distance to the actual object
Any ideas ???
Keep in mind that my experience at this point is only a few weeks old spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
November 09, 2016 02:13PM
If you are using Repetier-Host, under the Slic3r screen click on "Configuration."
When the window opens click on "Support material" in the left column.
Under "Support Material" look about 1/2 way down under "Options for support material and raft."
Contact Z distance is what you are looking for. This setting is used to determine the distance
between the object and the support material.

Hope this helps.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login