Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

USB cable melted

Posted by zkent 
USB cable melted
December 04, 2016 12:10AM
I just replaced my arduino/RAMPS setup because something recently caused a short and my USB cable melted (literally), frying the electronics and the cable. I replaced electronics and checked the wiring from the power supply. I connected the USB to the Arduino and uploaded the Marlin firmware as before, but as soon as I plugged in the A/C power, the cable got hot instantly and I unplugged it all. That cable is toast. I checked the arduino with a different cable and it seems to work OK.

What to check? The last thing I did before the first one fried was replace the hotend.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/04/2016 12:13AM by zkent.
Re: USB cable melted
December 15, 2016 02:28PM
Sounds pretty weird since the USB cable just provides 5V to the arduino/RAMPS, and hotend/heated bed/motors should get powered from an external 12/24V power supply

Do you have other "exotic" 5V electronics connected to your board, such as lights, 5V fans???
Maybe you fried a stepper driver in the previous setup??

Just connect the RAMPS with the arduino, remove/disconnect everyting else like stepper drivers, fans, heaters just a bare arduino with RAMPS and see what your cable does then...

Creality CR6-SE on Community FW
[github.com]

P3-Steel Homebrew on Repetier FW
Re: USB cable melted
December 15, 2016 06:47PM
check this thread, seems to be quite common

[forums.reprap.org]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login