Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Feed Rates / Speed / etc

Posted by Knedberg09 
Feed Rates / Speed / etc
January 03, 2018 12:23AM
Hello All,

I am hoping to fine tune my knowledge on these machines and I am curious about feed rates,

I recently had a nozzle ooze plastic from all over and I hadnt changed any settings from the original setup,

so How do I know a good speed and where do I officially change it. The settings I see via the slicer dont give a feed rate option. I just need some insight on setups so I can not kill this printer.
Re: Feed Rates / Speed / etc
January 03, 2018 01:52AM
You might want to invest in some glasses....

as for how fast.. that depends on the rigidity of your machine. The more rigid, the faster you can go, but in general the faster you go messier the print.
Also you eventually run into thermal limits, you just cant melt the filament fast enough.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/03/2018 01:55AM by Dust.
January 03, 2018 03:26AM
IDK what a leaking noozle and speed settings have in common, but if your firmware doesn't allow to go fast enough, you can overwrite the max. speed settings with M203.
January 03, 2018 10:01PM
Hmm, Let me clarify what happened.

The Feed rate of the filament into the heat end is what I am asking about. Not the speed of the print head during print. My first few tests resulted in melted plastic oozing from the extruder head where the shank stem rises above the nozzle. My thought was the feed rate into the heating block was too high so the input vs output of plastic didn't match up, thus and overflow of melted plastic. So I went through the setting and thought to reduce the feed rate of the filament into the extruder head might be an option. reduce the pressure.

So when i mentioned feed rate i didn't mean the actual speed of the print, i'm certainly trying to go slower and steady until i'm better at this. Just curious if when you all set up the prints for projects if you ever go into settings as mentioned or if the slicer auto adjusts that rate dependent on the speeds you do select from that settings menu Dust put in.
January 03, 2018 10:33PM
"The Feed rate of the filament into the heat end is what I am asking about. Not the speed of the print head during print"

the two are linked, head moves distance Q, extruder extrudes Q mm worth of material (@ the volume required volume for layer height)

I think what your after is the steps/mm setting for the extruder. or the filament diameter. So that when it is told to extrude a volume of plastic the distance of filament * diameter calculation is correct.

You cannot directly control the extrusion rate. (well you can in gcode but its not how slicers/printers work)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/03/2018 10:35PM by Dust.
January 04, 2018 03:40AM
The leaking hot end is often a result of bad assembly. You have to tighten the nozzle against the M6 heatbarrier, not against the heater block.
How I do it:
1. disassemble the hotend
2. screw in the nozzle completely, then back 1/2 turn
3. screw in the heatbarrier until it meets the nozzle
4. Put the heater block in a vice and tighten the nozzle
5. Now assemble the heatsink, thermistor and heater element.
January 04, 2018 12:23PM
Thanks everyone!

This information is wonderful.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login