Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Duel extruders

Posted by erniehatt 
Duel extruders
April 04, 2018 10:46PM
Hi,
I am in the process of rebuilding my i3 printer, and would like to add a duel extruder system, an anyone suggest one for me.
Any help would be appreciated, I have seen a few on ebay, but not sure if they are good enough. Thanks.
Re: Duel extruders
April 05, 2018 02:54AM
A dual direct drive setup is too heavy for the X-axis. Better try to add a second extruder driven by cable or Bowden tube. The second extruder could best be dedicated for "big nozzle infill " or printing support.
Be aware, that two nozzles are difficult to level properly. The unused nozzle will always scratch over the fresh traces and probably peel it off eventually.

There are extruders with a tilting or lifting mechanism, but I have no experience with them. ( Prometheus comes to my mind )
April 05, 2018 06:37AM
Consider the E3D Chimera. I have had good success with it. It's a bit easier to level the nozzles than with separate hot ends. Just bring the bed to within a half millimeter of the tips and loosen the set screws that hold in the heat break so both nozzles rest on the bed and retighten the screws.
April 05, 2018 04:58PM
Thanks Guys, will take a look at these.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login