Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

3d printing novice, but new to reprap, looking at hephestos

Posted by lawnm0wer 
3d printing novice, but new to reprap, looking at hephestos
October 23, 2018 06:02PM
hey there reprappers, long time lurker looking to get into the reprap scene! I've been hesitant on trying to build a reprap, because of the problem of "random little things that mess up your build and are hard as crap to find". that, and the fear of "oh god why is my 3d printer literally on fire?!"

lately, my monoprice mini delta's shortcomings (small print size, inability to print ABS) have been frustrating, and I'm looking to make or buy an upgrade.

looking through 3d printers, I've noticed that reliability, and customer support happens to be a hit or miss thing on many models. But upon seeing the page for the prusa i3 haphaestus hephestos, I've been attracted by the (mostly) idiot-proof instructions and the fact that it was designed by a team of roboticists.

So, I want to build a hephestos, my plan is to locally source as many parts as possible, and order the rest online, what are some gotchas of reprap building, and RAMPS wiring that I should look out for?
Re: 3d printing novice, but new to reprap, looking at hephestos
October 25, 2018 12:45PM
I would suggest you build it once using quality parts like a name brand hot-end, solid frame (not acrylic) and quality head-bed.
Don't buy junk, build it, then have to do "upgrades" to get decent prints.

My updated Instructable on our Prusa i3 Build
[www.instructables.com]
October 25, 2018 01:55PM
lawnm0wer

lately, my monoprice mini delta's shortcomings (small print size, inability to print ABS) have been frustrating, and I'm looking to make or buy an upgrade.

You may want to read this article,

[rigid.ink]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/25/2018 02:04PM by Roberts_Clif.

Computer Programmer / Electronics Technician
October 25, 2018 11:23PM
Roberts_Clif
lawnm0wer

You may want to read this article,

[rigid.ink]

Thank you for the link. But I have actually made several prints on my mini delta in PETG. my reasoning for wanting to print in ABS is so I can do figurines and molds in with it and have a reliable medium for acetone smoothing and keeping model detail. I've tried to acetone smooth a demo print in my hatchbox blue PLA, but it didn't seem to work.

SteveRoy
I would suggest you build it once using quality parts like a name brand hot-end, solid frame (not acrylic) and quality head-bed.
Don't buy junk, build it, then have to do "upgrades" to get decent prints.

exactly my plan, I'm hoping I can find a local metal laser-cutter that can sell to consumers at reasonable prices, or if my machinist friend has a laser cutter. I've also been looking through the BOM on the hephestos for any flagrant gotchas, and I found two that I've been leery of-
1. The extruder, it being a witbox extruder, and thus a non-open-source part.
2. The extruder wiring kit. it being packaged for the witbox extruider, and not something like a bowden extruder.

so I searched on thingiverse for any possible extruder mounts, and found a mount for a bowden extruder. would this one work? I saw only one other on thingiverse, and it required parts from the witbox extruder.
finally, I will say, that while I am good at following instructions, and patient, I have zero experience on the wiring and electronic side, my dad's done his share of wiring, so I will ask him what he knows. other than that, what advice can you guys offer on the electronic side of things?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/25/2018 11:23PM by lawnm0wer.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login