Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

P3Steel version 2.5 DXL

Posted by AndrewBCN 
P3Steel version 2.5 DXL
June 23, 2015 11:44AM
Hi everybody,

FYI, I just published in the wiki the design of the P3Steel version 2.5 DXL. Note that the P3Steel is a variant of the "classic" Prusa i3 with a lasercut frame in 3mm steel.

This new P3Steel version 2.5 DXL is a dual Bowden extruder capable, slightly enlarged derivative of my earlier P3Steel 2.01 variant.

The recommended frame is laser cut structural carbon steel, sand blasted, zinc plated, unpainted. "You can paint it any color..."

As few changes as possible from version 2.01 (KISS philosophy and avoiding changing something that works).

List of changes from version 2.01:

• 10mm wider. This is achieved by making the central plate and the two Y-axis end plates 10mm wider. Note that the distance between the Y-axis smooth rods remains the same.
• 10mm taller. This is achieved by making the central plate and the two side panels 10mm taller.
• The holes to mount the Arduino Mega 2560 + RAMPS board are 10mm higher, increasing the clearance for the USB cable.
• There is an added cutout in each of the side panels to keep the frame weight in the same range as the original P3Steel 2.01.
• Two stepper motor cutouts, one on each side panel, for mounting two optional Bowden extruders.
• All screw holes now identical diameter (the holes for the electronics on the side panels were previously specified at 2.6mm diameter for later tapping with M3 threads, this is now deprecated).
Apart from the minor changes above, nothing else is changed.

Note that making the printer 10mm wider and 10mm taller does not really result in an increase in the print envelope, rather it makes it easier to achieve the original print envelope of the Prusa i3 (200 x 200 x 200mm or 8l).

Also note that use of the Bowden extruder mounts is optional. Basically the P3Steel 2.5 DXL can still be built exactly like the original P3Steel, with a single Greg's Wade's Geared Extruder on the X-carriage, or one can use a single Bowden extruder mounted on either sidepanel, or two Bowden extruders mounted on both sidepanels.

Wiki pages here: [reprap.org]

Parts layout for version 2.01:

Parts layout for version 2.5 DXL:

P3Steel 2.5 DXL page on Thingiverse here: [www.thingiverse.com]

My optimized printed parts for the P3Steel, also on Thingiverse, here: [www.thingiverse.com]
Re: P3Steel version 2.5 DXL
June 23, 2015 12:04PM
Sure, release a newer version after I get V2.01 all painted up! smileys with beer
June 23, 2015 12:12PM
Hehe! grinning smiley

Well, the 2.5 DXL frames will be available in a few weeks, so you still have some time to get your version 2.01 up and running and print the parts for your next P3Steel 2.5 DXL! hot smiley
June 25, 2015 03:49PM
Hi Andrew,

Have you seen my post on Clone Wars google group about a few upgrades about your Steel design?

[groups.google.com]

I wrote it in spanish.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Aquí los planos:

[www.thingiverse.com]

Con soporte para dual bowden y dual extrusor.

Yo le aplicaba varias modificaciones de serie:

-Soporte de rollo de plástico tipo Moebyus
-Recortar el soporte superior del ejez Z tipo Moebyus (la zona de la varilla roscada) para que imprima toda la altura real y llegue a los 20cm de altura en el eje Z
-Taladro en uno de los soportes del eje Z para encastrar este tipo de botón de encendido, igual que la Moebyus.

[www.moebyus.com]

-Taladros para el relé de la cama caliente (2 taladros de M4 de 48mm de separación)

Aquí las modificaciones de Moebyus:

-Taladros para más electrónicas, por ejemplo la SAV.

-Modificación del marco para encastrar el LCD OLED de esta discusión del grupo, si a alguien se le ocurre cómo hacerlo o dónde ubicarlo:

[groups.google.com]

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Regards,

Carlos Arroba
June 25, 2015 09:12PM
Hola Carlos,

No, no había visto tus modificaciones, pero conozco la versión Moebyus de la P3Steel. La verdad es que le proyecto de la P3Steel es totalmente de Irobri, y mis modificaciones son muy pequeñas, porque mi "filosofia" es de no cambiar cosas que ya estan practicamente perfectas (que es como veo la version 2.0 de la P3Steel, o sea, el diseño original de Irobri, que es absolutamente minimalista).

Mi sentimiento en relacion a la versión Moebyus de la P3Steel es que es una versión ligeramente inferior a la version 2.0 de Irobri.

translating the above to English:

Hi Carlos,

No, I had not seen your upgrades, but I have seen the Moebyus version of the P3Steel. The truth is that the P3Steel project totally belongs to Irobri, and all my modifications to the original design are really minor details or cleanups. As I wrote above, K.I.S.S. philosophy [en.wikipedia.org] and "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". I really consider the original P3Steel 2.0 design by Irobri to be practically perfect, so I'd rather stick to his design with as few changes as possible. (also: "perfection is finally attained not when there is no longer anything to add, but when there is no longer anything to take away")

I have nothing against the Moebyus version but my personal gut feeling about it is that it is a step down in design compared to Irobri's original version 2.0.
June 26, 2015 10:19AM
I have seen these frames on ebay, very tempted. Would they be a direct swap out for the current frames in my Migbot Prusa I3.
Very similat looking frame, and the plastic parts look the same as the P3Steel as well

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/26/2015 11:19AM by Ukemaxxer.
June 26, 2015 10:31AM
I picked my frame up on eBay... from Orballo I believe. Ordered it and seven days later it hit the west coast from Spain. Overall the quality is quite excellent. I filed a few bits of slag from the laser off and sanded it a bit with some 150 grit. Painted it up in metallic red and blue paint (Going for the Optimus Prime Bot look smoking smiley ). I'll be picking up the screws today and start shooting a video of it sometime this week. (I've only found the Prusa I3 Steel assembly videos in Spanish so figured I'd make some for we English speaking folks.)

I'd pull the trigger on one unless you're looking at the 2.5 version (which is neat).
December 31, 2018 09:39AM
Hello.

I dont know if anyone here still talks about the V2.5 Frame. But if anyone can help me with finding a good design for side wall bowden motor mount I would be really appreciated.

Thank you
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login