Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

DIY Tech Shop: "i3xl - prusa i3" reviews

Posted by agharti 
Re: DIY Tech Shop: "i3xl - prusa i3" reviews
July 29, 2014 02:24PM
Hey all, in March, I bought an i3x, took me about 2 months to assemble it in my free time, and now not a whole lot works. The print head does get up to temperature, not sure about the bed (disconnected it and never reconnected it due to the main issue I'm having) but my big problem is that the motors only move 1 step at a time no matter how far I tell them to move. I've tried messing around with different steps/mm settings and nothing. When I try to print a 25mm cube, it heats up, whirs a little bit, moving a step at a time, then the X axis just shoots across to the other side without stopping before it reaches the end of the X axis assembly. Once it reaches the end, the motor doesn't turn off for another second (ish) the belt slipping all the while. After that, the printer tries to move, but the axes only move one step at a time. The extruder does not move and I am pretty sure it does not even lock. Does anyone have any insight? I think my RAMPS board might be the issue, but I'm not sure. I know the arduino works because I ran a blink program on it before installing it to the printer. Thanks for any help you can give me!
July 29, 2014 02:56PM
I'm pretty new to the reprap world but some things you might consider looking into:

Make sure you have a good power supply connection
Tune you stepper drivers "vref" to make sure the motors are getting the right amount of current
Experiment with acceleration and max travel speed in firmware and computer UI

Good luck!
July 29, 2014 04:00PM
Where did you grab your firmware that you flashed, and what firmware are you using? Perhaps it was just a bad firmware?

I ordered the LCD with mine...did you opt for that with yours? If you did, there's some diagnostic stuff that can be done from there.

How do you have your endstops hooked up? Black wire goes from C (on the switch) to (-) on the board; Red wire goes from NC (on the switch) to (S) on the board. (+) on the board is unused (as is NO on the switches).

It might also be your motor current on your stepper drivers that needs adjusted - but let's start with those couple things.

Do all the endstops show properly in Pronterface when you send an m119?

I hang out in the chat all day at work (7:30A-4:00P Eastern). If you can access it, I'd be glad to help you out in real-time what I can. So would all the other folks in there. [webchat.freenode.net]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/29/2014 04:02PM by NevynPA.
July 30, 2014 10:07PM
I talked to DIY tech and they told me to install the little jumpers underneath the stepper drivers (a step that was never described in any build guide I have ever seen). The result is now the Y axis moves in the positive direction, and the X axis sometimes moves in the negative direction. Z axis hums more violently when I tell it to home, and the extruder motor is still unresponsive. I have checked all my wires a few times now, there are no crosses. I am sure I got the right firmware, The only thing that I can think of to go wrong is the RAMPS. Does anyone else have any input? Thanks grinning smiley
July 30, 2014 10:26PM
[reprap.org]

That's the jumper settings. I can help you more if you're able to jump on the IRC chat? There's also a LOT of other folks able to help too.
July 31, 2014 02:22AM
mac hacker,

I had a similar problem with my printer as well. Finally I found out that I had to change some settings in the "configuration h" file to correct the issue with the wrong direction of the motor. Another way to correct this is to turn the connector of the motor on RAMPS board at 180 degree.
If one motor doesn´t move at all, try to connect the motor on a different connector (e.g. if Z don´t move try to connect it on the x connector to test). This will show you if the RAMPS or a stepper driver is faulty. If the motor then still does´t move you will need to replace it. I had one faulty motor in my kit as well...
July 31, 2014 08:29AM
mac hacker
Hey all, in March, I bought an i3x, took me about 2 months to assemble it in my free time, and now not a whole lot works. The print head does get up to temperature, not sure about the bed (disconnected it and never reconnected it due to the main issue I'm having) but my big problem is that the motors only move 1 step at a time no matter how far I tell them to move. I've tried messing around with different steps/mm settings and nothing. When I try to print a 25mm cube, it heats up, whirs a little bit, moving a step at a time, then the X axis just shoots across to the other side without stopping before it reaches the end of the X axis assembly. Once it reaches the end, the motor doesn't turn off for another second (ish) the belt slipping all the while. After that, the printer tries to move, but the axes only move one step at a time. The extruder does not move and I am pretty sure it does not even lock. Does anyone have any insight? I think my RAMPS board might be the issue, but I'm not sure. I know the arduino works because I ran a blink program on it before installing it to the printer. Thanks for any help you can give me!

I gotta say I ran into the same thing with my printer. Bought a Mendel V2 kit from Makerfarm and took me a LOONG time to finally get it to print stuff. One of my issues was RepitierHost allowed me to upload config modifications to the board that would make things "not work" (like single steps ect). I'm running a printrboard so it's apples and apricots but firmware would be a good start.

I also second the IRC channel, I have been trying to get my budaschnozzle to work with my Mendel and they had me a youtube video link crazy quick! I <3 those guys
July 31, 2014 09:02AM
ciutateivissa
mac hacker,

I had a similar problem with my printer as well. Finally I found out that I had to change some settings in the "configuration h" file to correct the issue with the wrong direction of the motor. Another way to correct this is to turn the connector of the motor on RAMPS board at 180 degree.
If one motor doesn´t move at all, try to connect the motor on a different connector (e.g. if Z don´t move try to connect it on the x connector to test). This will show you if the RAMPS or a stepper driver is faulty. If the motor then still does´t move you will need to replace it. I had one faulty motor in my kit as well...

I actually just did this with my Z axis (just now got my own i3xl up and running). I had to adjust the print area, nozzle temp, and change

#define INVERT_Z_DIR true     // for Mendel set to false, for Orca set to true

to true for mine (even though it says set false for Mendel, I had to use true).

This page is a good walkthrough of the Configuration.h file:

[blog.think3dprint3d.com]

Adjust it for your preferred temps, printable size, direction, speed, etc and then re-upload to your Arduino. I'm a fan of changing one variable at a time, uploading, testing, and then changing the next one. That way if something doesn't work, it's easier to track down where the failure is at.
August 04, 2014 10:11AM
NevynPA
ciutateivissa
mac hacker,

I actually just did this with my Z axis (just now got my own i3xl up and running). I had to adjust the print area, nozzle temp, and change

#define INVERT_Z_DIR true     // for Mendel set to false, for Orca set to true

to true for mine (even though it says set false for Mendel, I had to use true).

This page is a good walkthrough of the Configuration.h file:

[blog.think3dprint3d.com]

Adjust it for your preferred temps, printable size, direction, speed, etc and then re-upload to your Arduino. I'm a fan of changing one variable at a time, uploading, testing, and then changing the next one. That way if something doesn't work, it's easier to track down where the failure is at.

That's because those comments are worthless, I don't know of many controllers that come with a keyed motor connector or even keyed motor plugs. Would only be useful for kits but I still don't see the reason, the person building the kit at the factory or preloading the firmware would know how to set the direction and if the end user is messing with the firmware they should know the difference anyway. The comment just confuses people that are new to th efirmware.
October 30, 2014 10:23AM
thatsme
My advice, buy somewhere else. DIY Techshop is far from professional when it comes to emails and calls. I know I orderred the Prusa i3 Xl and received the small Prusa i3. they sent parts to make it an XL but they are not as shown on the pictures. If I had to do it again. I'd go Makerfarm.

I'm currently having communication issues with DIY Techshop right now. I purchased a 3xl 14 business days ago and still don't have a tracking number. The phone number associated with their paypal account is wrong, when you call their "real" number you get a smug "we aren't taking calls - email us" and then you email and you get no response. I've been more than fair and now I'm angry.
October 30, 2014 11:53AM
akonkol
thatsme
My advice, buy somewhere else. DIY Techshop is far from professional when it comes to emails and calls. I know I orderred the Prusa i3 Xl and received the small Prusa i3. they sent parts to make it an XL but they are not as shown on the pictures. If I had to do it again. I'd go Makerfarm.

I'm currently having communication issues with DIY Techshop right now. I purchased a 3xl 14 business days ago and still don't have a tracking number. The phone number associated with their paypal account is wrong, when you call their "real" number you get a smug "we aren't taking calls - email us" and then you email and you get no response. I've been more than fair and now I'm angry.

Well Paypal has a claim option which will surely get a response out of them.
December 22, 2014 11:08AM
I purchased a metal frame from then that came with plastic parts. The frame was very thin and flimsy, which isn't their fault. The frame was very rough and needed to be sanded. The plastic parts were very poor quality and needed a lot of cleanup. I eventually called them to return the product, which they were happy to do. I shipped it back and couple months later still haven't received my refund. Also they are not excepting phone calls now and their not responding to my emails.
January 02, 2015 09:00PM
akonkol
thatsme

I am having problems with DIY Techshop as well. I returned an Iron3D 12x12x14 printer because it was missing over 45 parts. They finally responded to one of my emails and told me to send it back for a refund. They received the printer about a month ago and have not returned my money. They wont respond to my calls or emails. Don't know what to think. This company is far from reputable. As of now they have stolen about $1000 dollars from me. It was processed through OpenCart so I'm worried about whether I can file a claim through them. Looks like I may have to take them to small claims court. Dealing with them has pretty much been a nightmare.
January 06, 2015 01:19AM
Ehh.... yeah... My advise is to not do business with DIYtechshop.

Firstly, I found DIYtechshop through craigslist as a local outfit. I wanted someone who I could go talk to if i really needed help, which, as a basic newbie, I knew I would be needing help at some point.

When I bought the kit, I was assured that it was complete, but, if for some reason, there was something missing, it could easily be shipped to me with a phone call and/or an Email. I paid up front in cash.
The next day, after I had pieced most of the printer together, I emailed them when I could not find the Wade's extruder carrage. I also noted that thefan housing and arduino board mount did not fit (my arduino board mount is still ghetto).

A month after sending the request for the extruder carrage via email, I called and re-sent the email. There was no reply.
I got the part made by a fellow 3d printer, and it finally put things together enough that I can start poking at firmware (which it sounds like they left some nasty bs in their firmware) and the general electronics bits that they don't mention.

The guy at DIYtechshop noted that the company was doing poorly, and, if my experience is normal, I can see why. They don't deserve to be in business.
January 20, 2015 04:43PM
I ordered the same kit a few months ago and have just gotten around to assembling it.

Overall, I'm happy with the quality of the parts I received. I'm only on the third section of the build but the pieces so far haven't required any modification except for the fan mount.

A detailed inventory list would really have helped because I did end up losing the heated bed somehow. Could someone provide me with the model number of the heated bed it shipped with or suggest a heated bed that will work with the i3xl? I'm also going to need to track down the aluminum sheet that it is attached to. Any advice on that?
January 23, 2015 12:55PM
Hello everyone, I just ordered a DIY Tech Prusa i3xl printer! I glad to see this form and info from everyone will be a huge asset as i get into 3D printing.
I'll let you all know when it arrives!
January 24, 2015 12:31AM
Good luck, I've ordered i3x more than 10 business days ago and it's still not shipped. I wrote few emails to sales@diytechshop.com and didn't get any response. I'm going to wait for a couple of days and then file a claim to PayPal.
February 02, 2015 01:39AM
I've received and even patially built the kit. What can I say? Do NOT buy from DIY Tech Shop. Plastic parts are simply terrible, they look awful, some of them are literally falling apart in your hands. I couldn't imagine someone would sell such a junk. Many parts are missing (plastic, electronics, metal). Huge waste of time and money. I'll try to get the missing parts from them and finish assembly, but given the way their customer support works I'm expecting to have lots of fun...
February 02, 2015 11:31AM
Also, I would strongly advise you against doing business with XSSINK. It's the exact same people, same phone, same garbage product
that shows up missing parts 8 weeks after you order it. They cloned the DIYTechShop website and are apparently just trying to continue
doing business-as-usual on a different site. I gave them $900 nearly 2 months ago and still have no printer and I'm getting no responses.
Sad day. I like to see small businesses succeed but this isn't how to do it.
February 03, 2015 12:55AM
Seems like no bad reviews in general, guess it is thumb up.
March 11, 2015 04:47AM
I ordered my i3XL on 25th Jan and after many emails I finally received an answer on 20th Feb from someone named Cara saying that my order is on the floor and scheduled to go out Monday or Tuesday. I have emailed them a number of times regarding a change of shipping address (not a big deal as I still have access to the old address), without any response. It's now over 6 weeks since I ordered it and 2 weeks since it was 'scheduled' to go out. Still not getting any responses to emails.

I think I'll put in a claim with PayPal because in that time I've rebuilt my Prusa Mendel with Loches Z-axis upgrade as well as almost finished a Kossel XL so I have my bases covered.

I'm very patient and really just want some truth.... I'd probably wait for it if I knew how long it was going to take.

Absolutely terrible customer service, I wish I'd seen this thread before ordering it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2015 04:48AM by Kalus.
March 23, 2015 09:12PM
Just to put this to rest; diytechshop closed down as well as the other related company xssink .
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login