Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Folger Prusa i3 Kit from ebay

Posted by Waltermixx 
Re: Folger Prusa i3 Kit from ebay
September 20, 2014 05:36PM
I ended up getting this one from Ikea, because wasnt able to check stock in the closest store, but Ikea had it and it was in stock.

[www.ikea.com]

here is the Silicon trimmed to fit and mounted between the heating plate and the acrylic Y bed. smiling smiley I cut a notch so it did not hit the Y-endstop.

September 20, 2014 07:05PM
@dooms,

Hi there, did you end up posting your final Vref measurements? I checked the thread and saw the original ones, then you mentioned you changed them for better speed...
would you mind posting your settings? smiling smiley also I was wondering, the conifiguration.h file you attached to a message, are the extruder settings already done on it? or do I need to
adjust that? I ran some ABS though my extruder, and it seemed to come out fine... but not sure if it needs any fine tuning for printing? smiling smiley

Cheers. smiling smiley
September 20, 2014 07:59PM
Waltermixx

i will also be googling prusa i3 mosfet coolers to see what others have done... but i definately want to put some kind of heat sync on it,
I did putchase a 12 volt fan, so just have to get a mount for it...

I use this design from thingiverse:

[www.thingiverse.com]

You could use 1 or 2 of them depending if you need to cool the steppers too.
I just use it for the mosfets. Used zip ties to hold it in position until I got the part printed

Steve

My updated Instructable on our Prusa i3 Build
[www.instructables.com]
Attachments:
open | download - 40mm fan.jpg (163.2 KB)
September 20, 2014 08:53PM
I would recommend using the Kapton tape roll to tape that silicon pad to the bottom of the heated bed pcb. Otherwise, the air gap in between will make it pretty much ineffective.

I'm still in the process of tuning my Vref's, when I settle on something I'll post it. My last settings should be pretty close but should be raised about 25% each.
September 20, 2014 08:54PM
Waltermixx
@dooms,

Hi there, did you end up posting your final Vref measurements? I checked the thread and saw the original ones, then you mentioned you changed them for better speed...
would you mind posting your settings? smiling smiley also I was wondering, the conifiguration.h file you attached to a message, are the extruder settings already done on it? or do I need to
adjust that? I ran some ABS though my extruder, and it seemed to come out fine... but not sure if it needs any fine tuning for printing? smiling smiley

Cheers. smiling smiley

The extruder should be good to g
September 21, 2014 10:32AM
I'm using the settings below, and added about 20% for now. Thank you smiling smiley

Steve, that fan mount is great, I will definitely be making one of those... smiling smiley

dooms101
dooms101
A heads up to people who are also confused about what VRef to run with these motors. After much trial and error my settings are like this:
x axis: ~130mV
y axis: ~300mV
z axis: ~250mV
extruder: ~180mV

Your mileage may vary. I found these values by turning the VRef down to about 50mV and then using Pronterface to move the axis. I kept turning it up until I could get the speed I needed. Remember not to turn the trim pot on the controller unless the motors are off!

After a few more prints I think these values are too low for the speeds I'm running at. These values work well for slow prints (~80mm/s) and keep the motors nice and cool, but for higher speeds I had to increase the values, especially for the extruder. I'll post what I end up with along with the Marlin settings I'm using. I assume others will this to be useful info.
September 21, 2014 03:20PM
Hi only just got round to doing it but here is what ive done since ive had it winking smiley
Attachments:
open | download - 20140911_173431.jpg (593.4 KB)
open | download - 20140911_173504.jpg (595.1 KB)
open | download - 20140911_173516.jpg (583.7 KB)
open | download - 20140911_173527.jpg (427.4 KB)
open | download - 20140911_173548.jpg (407.7 KB)
September 21, 2014 04:12PM
Okie doke so I printed a test cube 20x20x20 with 25% infill and it turned out pretty good...
it warped of course because I was not using Kapton tape. I printed a test cube before this one, and before adjusting the Vref ( which were totally wacked ).
I have to get me some kapton tape now. smiling smiley

[www.flickr.com]

@Dooms101: The lastest pics are in the link above, including some pictures of the RepRap Discount Full Graphics LCD. I do like having this alot, it allows me to work without a computer once the file is sliced and saved on the card.

I can start a print from the SD card, adjust the temperature and speed of the print while it's printing, pause, and change filament if I wanted to coloured layers... smiling smiley

I kind of think it's totally necessary. adjusting speed and temp (bed and extruder) on the fly alone is worth the $24.95 alone.

smiling smiley
September 21, 2014 05:52PM
sloppyprinter
Hi only just got round to doing it but here is what ive done since ive had it winking smiley

Looks good, what extruder is that? Looks very different from mine
September 21, 2014 05:54PM
Waltermixx
Okie doke so I printed a test cube 20x20x20 with 25% infill and it turned out pretty good...
it warped of course because I was not using Kapton tape. I printed a test cube before this one, and before adjusting the Vref ( which were totally wacked ).
I have to get me some kapton tape now. smiling smiley

[www.flickr.com]

@Dooms101: The lastest pics are in the link above, including some pictures of the RepRap Discount Full Graphics LCD. I do like having this alot, it allows me to work without a computer once the file is sliced and saved on the card.

I can start a print from the SD card, adjust the temperature and speed of the print while it's printing, pause, and change filament if I wanted to coloured layers... smiling smiley

I kind of think it's totally necessary. adjusting speed and temp (bed and extruder) on the fly alone is worth the $24.95 alone.

smiling smiley

Where did you get your Discount LCD controller from? I don't see any for $25, I might get one if they're that cheap!

Also, I suggest using fragrance free hairspray rather than Kapton tape. Works well for me and lots of others and its available from a regular store.
September 21, 2014 07:23PM
I had it added to my order from Folgertech guys...

[shop.folgertechnologies.com]

it was in their onine store for cheaper than their ebay listing...
so I purchased from the online store. Because my Prusa i3 Kit had not shipped yet,
I asked them if they could add the graphics LCD kit, and cut the rods to my Prusa purchase and then ship it... smiling smiley

smiling smiley hope this helps smiling smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/21/2014 07:25PM by Waltermixx.
September 21, 2014 09:03PM
Waltermixx
I had it added to my order from Folgertech guys...

[shop.folgertechnologies.com]

it was in their onine store for cheaper than their ebay listing...
so I purchased from the online store. Because my Prusa i3 Kit had not shipped yet,
I asked them if they could add the graphics LCD kit, and cut the rods to my Prusa purchase and then ship it... smiling smiley

smiling smiley hope this helps smiling smiley

Hmmm, that's a really really good deal. Although I already have a RaspberryPi so I've been thinking about setting up a remote access where the RPi controls the printer and I just connect to it with SSH or something similar to send it prints.
September 21, 2014 09:18PM

I just got done designing, printing, and installing my filament spool holder. It turned out really well and is super stable. You can find it on thingiverse here.
September 21, 2014 10:01PM
Wow that's very very cool smiling smiley very solid to be holding up that spool of filament. smiling smiley

did you print that on the new printer, if so what are you printing on?

I tried glass, glass with gluestick, glass with kapton tape ( i had 1" roll that I used, multiple lines)
whats the secret (i bet it's the enclosure...) but I would like to know what treatment you give your build plate.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/21/2014 10:03PM by Waltermixx.
September 21, 2014 10:32PM
looks like you already answered that question... hairspray right on glass, none fragrant... i just grabbed what was around...
but I think Garnier is recommended on the Makerbot Google group, i will have to go there see what their buying...
what brand are you using? smiling smiley I'm dying to print somthing other than a 20mm x 20mm cube... and have it stick smiling smiley
September 21, 2014 10:56PM
Hey, are you using the 608zz bearings that Folgertech included in the Prusa i3 kit for some inexplicable reason? smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/21/2014 10:56PM by Waltermixx.
September 22, 2014 12:13AM
printed one of these 40mm fan mounts for the Ramps 1.4 board.

turned out pretty good... (ok printed on a replicator 2, but my test cubes were getting close...)

at any rate, just have to figure out where to plug the + and - I think i should just connect it to one of the 2 main 12volt feeds so it's always on... the fan in the power supply is always on what's one more fan smiling smiley

Cheers. smiling smiley
September 22, 2014 08:45AM
hmmmm... as far as the fan is concerned there appears to be a space for an extruder fan not currently being used:

labeled extruder fan, i wonder if it's controllable, or is always on... this should do for the cooling fan if always on...
does anyone know if it's ok if the extruder fan (the one on the extruder) can always be on? instead of using D9 for the extruder fan, and use D9 to control a print fan for PLA?

just wondering what the consensus is for that?
September 22, 2014 09:00AM
Waltermixx
hmmmm... as far as the fan is concerned there appears to be a space for an extruder fan not currently being used:

labeled extruder fan, i wonder if it's controllable, or is always on... this should do for the cooling fan if always on...
does anyone know if it's ok if the extruder fan (the one on the extruder) can always be on? instead of using D9 for the extruder fan, and use D9 to control a print fan for PLA?

just wondering what the consensus is for that?

I wire both my fans (Extruder and Electronics fan) to the Power input ports so that they are always on whenever the PSU is on.

Doug
September 22, 2014 10:00AM
Cool (sorry could not resist...), thanks Doug smiling smiley

That would free up D9 for a print fan for things that might benefit from one... (PLA)... not sue I will ever print PLA on it it, but never say never.... smiling smiley
September 22, 2014 06:19PM
Hi dooms101. I could not tell ya fella what the extruder is im new to this myself it came with the kit and I have tried to find spec on that but cant. just direct drive of course winking smiley im not even sure what size it is .4 or .5. that's how bad the service was from where I got it,
September 22, 2014 07:08PM
Where did you get it? smiling smiley
September 22, 2014 07:33PM
Also I wanted to take this time to Thanks the guys on this thread for their assistance with my build. smiling smiley
I'm hoping i can return the favour to anyone else building this kit (or others if I can smiling smiley )

thanks again smiling smiley

Couple of things I can recommend:

1) Use the little M3 Lock washers where ever you can. If you have left over ones, go back and use them where maybe you didn't feel the need. They are great from preventing screws from loosening... (my replacement y-belt holder kept getting loose, added lock washers and it was rock solid after that... smiling smiley )

2) Don't set the z-endstop until you have the glass on the build plate, the springs do not have a ton of movement. smiling smiley (thats an obvious one...but still guess who didn't...)

3) Don't secure the base to anything until you are sure you have everything tight.

4) When the Extruder goes to the home 0,0,0 position, make sure there are no clips in the way, first it homes x, then y, then z... keep this in mind when placing clips to secure the glass.

5) Don't zip tie your wires all nice and neat until you have run them all to the board... I zip tied mine as I went a long to keep it neat and tidy, then ended up cutting zip ties to add other wires to the bundle... (that too is an obvious one, but i liked it looking neat each time i stopped for the night... crazy I know... ) smiling smiley

6) Don't be tempted to do a test run before calibrating your Vref. It's exciting to watch it all move, but if you do, your motors may get very hot, you may blow a stepper driver, you might damage your x carriage or x end from a way too hot stepper motor. smiling smiley ( thankfully I did not do any damage from my fool hardy pre-calibration 20mm print smiling smiley )

I have to say this was a fun kit to build, and the help thus far has been great smiling smiley

thanks again folks ... winking smiley

I may still have some questions and will post them here... Others building this kit may of course continue to use this thread, so at least all of our experiences and trouble shooting are together...
those guys are up to 96 sold at this point smiling smiley.

Cheers. smiling smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/22/2014 07:34PM by Waltermixx.
September 22, 2014 10:01PM
Waltermixx
printed one of these 40mm fan mounts for the Ramps 1.4 board.

what a difference the fan makes on the heatbed mosfet. smiling smiley

Cheers. smiling smiley

September 23, 2014 01:10AM
Well I did it... i printed something... smiling smiley

The challenge thus far has been getting stuff to stick... I did not have a chance to get hairspray, so I'm hoping i can sort this out. smiling smiley
I also want to try an ABS slurry. smiling smiley

Cheers. smiling smiley

White ABS. from www.filaments.ca (the stain on the top of the head is from crap stuck to the nozzle incorporating itself into the print... oh well smiling smiley

Cheers. smiling smiley
September 23, 2014 01:56PM
Hi how do you find the people that you have commented on lol winking smiley. anyhow I got some pics of mine now winking smiley.
Attachments:
open | download - 20140911_173431.jpg (593.4 KB)
open | download - 20140911_173504.jpg (595.1 KB)
open | download - 20140911_173516.jpg (583.7 KB)
open | download - 20140911_173527.jpg (427.4 KB)
open | download - 20140911_173548.jpg (407.7 KB)
September 23, 2014 02:04PM
I got it of ebay for 280 pound I think, someone beet me to the final bit but didn't pay so they came to for my final offer and accepted winking smiley.
September 23, 2014 04:10PM
[www.youtube.com]

YouTube video of bunny being printed if anyone is interested.

Cheers!

I will check out the pics when I get on a regular computer.

:0)
September 23, 2014 09:00PM
sloppyprinter
Hi how do you find the people that you have commented on lol winking smiley. anyhow I got some pics of mine now winking smiley.

not sure I understand the above? was this directed at me? if so please explain... I dont get it... I'm guessing it was meant to be funny, which is cool, I'm not offended, just a bit thick and I dont get the reference? smiling smiley

If not directed at me, then that might explain why I'm clueless to it smiling smiley

either way cheers. smiling smiley
September 23, 2014 10:01PM
Waltermixx
Well I did it... i printed something... smiling smiley

The challenge thus far has been getting stuff to stick... I did not have a chance to get hairspray, so I'm hoping i can sort this out. smiling smiley
I also want to try an ABS slurry. smiling smiley

Cheers. smiling smiley

White ABS. from www.filaments.ca (the stain on the top of the head is from crap stuck to the nozzle incorporating itself into the print... oh well smiling smiley

Cheers. smiling smiley

Looks like a great print! Glad to see everything came together for you. My printer has been working flawlessly for several prints and has really been impressing my friends and family. I am still amazed at how well priced this kit was.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login