Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Folger Prusa i3 Kit from ebay

Posted by Waltermixx 
Re: Folger Prusa i3 Kit from ebay
September 23, 2014 10:07PM
Yes it's a great kit. smiling smiley

did you give the lcd more thought? I only print from the sd card via the lcd...
I'm trying to learn custom gcodes to add to gcode that is generated,
something to set the bed, then the fan on the extruder, then the hot end...
smiling smiley keeps the extruder cooler... smiling smiley

I asked the Folger guys what they had their Vref set to for their printers, and this is what they sent back:

"The larger bed motor I set it to 0.55V, the Z's are .35V, X is 0.33V, Extruder 0.35V
Thanks!
John"

man of few words... but then again most folks are compared to me smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/2014 10:09PM by Waltermixx.
September 24, 2014 11:56AM
Waltermixx
sloppyprinter
Hi how do you find the people that you have commented on lol winking smiley. anyhow I got some pics of mine now winking smiley.

not sure I understand the above? was this directed at me? if so please explain... I dont get it... I'm guessing it was meant to be funny, which is cool, I'm not offended, just a bit thick and I dont get the reference? smiling smiley

If not directed at me, then that might explain why I'm clueless to it smiling smiley

either way cheers. smiling smiley

im not sure fella could be wrong thread winking smiley . How long you had your printer Waltermixx ?.
September 24, 2014 03:01PM
I got the kit around Sept. 10th when I started the thread, and finished building it this past weekend.... the 20th of sept.
Now I'm just fine tuning, calibrating, tramming the build plate, and getting used to printing with ABS.

smiling smiley cheers. smiling smiley
September 24, 2014 03:10PM
Found this great Unboxing and build video series on the Folgertech Prusa i3...

[www.youtube.com]

enjoy smiling smiley
September 24, 2014 06:26PM
Waltermixx
Yes it's a great kit. smiling smiley

did you give the lcd more thought? I only print from the sd card via the lcd...
I'm trying to learn custom gcodes to add to gcode that is generated,
something to set the bed, then the fan on the extruder, then the hot end...
smiling smiley keeps the extruder cooler... smiling smiley

I asked the Folger guys what they had their Vref set to for their printers, and this is what they sent back:

"The larger bed motor I set it to 0.55V, the Z's are .35V, X is 0.33V, Extruder 0.35V
Thanks!
John"

man of few words... but then again most folks are compared to me smiling smiley
I've been pretty busy with school lately so I haven't gotten around to setting up my RaspberryPi yet. If that doesn't end up working out I'll likely get that controller, it looks really cool.

Those vref numbers are almost exactly what I ended up with, so that's a good sign. I was worried that I might be over powering them.
September 25, 2014 03:58AM
This kit looks very interesting, I am researching my 1st printer, and have been recommended to get a mendel90. this will cost me about £600 with tax.
looking on E bay this kit is less than half that, not sure what tax i might have to pay as I live in England, they have sold 110 now.
what would you guys advise me, are there any cons to getting this printer?
Thanks in advance
Steve
September 25, 2014 12:12PM
Steue
This kit looks very interesting, I am researching my 1st printer, and have been recommended to get a mendel90. this will cost me about £600 with tax.
looking on E bay this kit is less than half that, not sure what tax i might have to pay as I live in England, they have sold 110 now.
what would you guys advise me, are there any cons to getting this printer?
Thanks in advance
Steve
I paid about 300 something for mine and it were a compney in England mate, ill find where it were if ya want winking smiley the service were crap but I got everything needed to build it and I did it in a couple of days just looking at the pic on ebay winking smiley
September 25, 2014 09:55PM
Calibration time...

I was wondering what you guys are using for your steps per mm for the extruder.
I left it at the 90 it was set to, and when I do the test here:

[www.youtube.com]

Toms 3d Printing Guide method, the numbers are a little wonky...
i tell it to extrude 100 mm, and it extrudes 90.
so I adjusted the steps per minute up a bit from 90 but the value seems to jump around...
i settled on 93 estps/mm it got me within 2 mm of the 100mm extrusion test...
just wondering what you got Dooms101...

this number is only good for this type of extruder...

here is a link to the extruder on their ebay auctions:

[www.ebay.ca]
September 25, 2014 10:34PM
I've been using 90 for my steps per unit setting and it's been working well. I didn't realize the nozzle was 0.4mm though, I've been using 0.5mm in my slicer. I'll have to change that and see if there's any improvements. So far, things have been printing very very well.
September 26, 2014 12:15AM
Tomorrow is my day off, and the plan is to go get some hairspray, and test that on glass.
I have had a really tough time with Just glass and gluestick... and the hairspray my wife had from her mom's visit, did not help at all..
smiling smiley Currently printing another bunny, as I lost my first bunny print... sad smiley

smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/26/2014 12:16AM by Waltermixx.
September 26, 2014 12:59PM
Garnier Fructics Ultra Strong (5) is very good on a heated glass build plate.
I went from pulling my hair out, to long bouncy shiny stylish hair.... wait a minute, that's not right,
I went from pulling my hair out because I could not get ABS prints to stick, to wow, this printer actually works very well.

a few things you will notice on this print is, it's very smooth and looks great, however there are some "zits" and stringing.
this is a direct result of me thinking it was a good idea to click the check box that says: "use firmware retraction"
best to leave this setting off.... this is found in Printer Settings, General, in Slic3r.

smiling smiley

September 27, 2014 10:22PM
hey guys. I bought this kit and have been trying to set it up. what did you guys use as your axis stepes per mm?
i have been trying to get the parts to move right, and they just wont. what did you guys use as your marlin steup?
even if you link your configuration.h file that would be great.
September 28, 2014 12:08AM
Have a read through this thread lots of great info provided by Dooms101 and Steve and Doug. dooms posted his configuration.h file along with vref voltages for adjusting the pots on the stepper drivers... Have a read. Lots of good info!

Lots of pictures as well. Looking forward to seeing yours as well!
September 29, 2014 12:51PM
Waltermixx
Where did you get it? smiling smiley
Hi Waltermixx this is the guys I got it from on ebay winking smiley
rptechworks
September 29, 2014 10:13PM
Question for those with the Folder Prusa i3.

the nuts located between the hot end and the cool end,
how is your configured?

both my nuts are down against the hot end. and I dont see the heat break (narrow part of the threaded heater tube.
is yours the same? Both nuts agains the hot end, or one against cold and one agains hot?

please let me know smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/29/2014 10:26PM by Waltermixx.
September 29, 2014 10:56PM
i tried doing a search on ebay by the seller, and could not find him?
can you provide a link to the kit? ( if you want...) I am just curious about it. smiling smiley

Cheers. smiling smiley
September 30, 2014 12:39AM
here you go! THE KIT!
September 30, 2014 01:19AM
@Btyder, yes I know that one, that is the same one I bought...
I was not refering to the Folger Prusa i3 kit... (I started this thread... )

smiling smiley

I was refering to the kit that sloppyprinter purchased on ebay...
September 30, 2014 01:29AM
I did try and print something other than a rabbit tonight...

I tried to print a Y-axis motor mount for a prusa i3.
and although it did stick to the build plate and not warp,
there were a few portions where the extruder was "air printing" nothing coming out of the extruder...
i could press the fillament into the extruder, and it would continue along... this happened a fe times about 60% into the
print job....

I also noticed that the extruder was pretty hot all over, the cool end was pretty hot,
and I did not bother to touch the hot end, the thermister indicated it was running properly at 230 degrees.

I'm thinking of bringing my vref. down so i can see if I can get it to run cooler...
I'm thinking the temperature is too hot for the wheel to grip the filament and send it down.

There does not appear to be any tension adjustments...

Dooms, are you experiencing any issues? do you have your extruder vref set to: .35 volts?
I'm going to lower mine to 200 and see if that helps.... smiling smiley

I wonder if it's the nut placement... Dooms do you think you could take a head on shot of your hot end?
so I can see how your nuts are placed? (no laughing...)

shown here...

September 30, 2014 01:36AM
I've actually been dealing with the same issue lately and I'm not sure what the issue is. I agree that it seems to be the cold end getting too hot and causing the filament to melt too high up which causes a jam. It could also be the filament getting too warm near the extruder gear which softens it enough to loose grip. I might try lowering my vref, which is around 400 but I have a feeling that won't be enough.

If I get the chance soon I might try building a better cooling system or a bowden system. I like having the direct drive but attaching a hot motor to a hot piece of metal seems like a bad design.
September 30, 2014 06:58AM
I think the "hot break", (narrowing of the feeder tube) may be under the double nuts...
Did you compare your extruder hot end to mine?

Tonight when I get home from work I will separate the nuts agains the hot end, and see if I can find the hot break.
It's designed to limit the heat from going up the pipe... The folder tech ebay listing for the extruder shows the break...

I'm wondering if a spring loaded extruder like the onr in the replicator 2 would help,
Just not sure if the holes would line up....
September 30, 2014 12:30PM
Waltermixx
@Btyder, yes I know that one, that is the same one I bought...
I was not refering to the Folger Prusa i3 kit... (I started this thread... )

smiling smiley

I was refering to the kit that sloppyprinter purchased on ebay...

Here ya go fella [www.ebay.co.uk] smiling smiley
October 01, 2014 11:56AM
dooms101
I've actually been dealing with the same issue lately and I'm not sure what the issue is. I agree that it seems to be the cold end getting too hot and causing the filament to melt too high up which causes a jam. It could also be the filament getting too warm near the extruder gear which softens it enough to loose grip. I might try lowering my vref, which is around 400 but I have a feeling that won't be enough.

If I get the chance soon I might try building a better cooling system or a bowden system. I like having the direct drive but attaching a hot motor to a hot piece of metal seems like a bad design.

Any chance you can post a picture of your extruder and nut placement? I have not gotten a chance to loosen the two nuts in search of the heat break, but I'm hoping it's there, and if it is,
then I will do one nut above against the cold end, and one nut below against the hot end. see if it helps. smiling smiley
October 01, 2014 06:24PM
Interesting... My extruder does not have any nuts between the hot end and the "cold end". Assembled the printer this past weekend. Still need to do some wiring clean-up but here are a few pictures.

HotEnd by czmorris, on Flickr

prusa by czmorris, on Flickr

Bed by czmorris, on Flickr
October 01, 2014 07:55PM
Is that a Yorkie in that one picture on your Flickr feed?
I have a Yorkie as well smiling smiley (her name is Sophie)

another thing in common smiling smiley

Cheers. smiling smiley

how hot does your extruder stepper get?
looks like there is some nice separation
between hot end and cold end on your extruder...
I think that will definitely be an advantage and help prevent jams. smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/01/2014 07:56PM by Waltermixx.
October 01, 2014 10:04PM
Haha! I forgot those photos were there. Yes it is a Yorkie (Allie). My wifes dog.

I haven't noticed the extruder motor getting hot but I also haven't had any issues yet with jams. On my other printer the only time I have had an issue with that is using cheap filament that wasn't very uniform.
My biggest issue with the prusa is a bit of layer separation. At the moment I am running a test using my folding light box as a temporary enclosure to see if it helps at all.
October 01, 2014 11:16PM
do you have those little rounded triangular shaped things to hold down the Z smooth bars?
not sure I see them... have a look at my pics, and you will see what I mean, they screw into the top part that holds the z smooth bar in place.
you should install them smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/01/2014 11:16PM by Waltermixx.
October 02, 2014 01:18AM
I have them but did not have them on at the time as I had been messing around with it. The "enclosure" did help but not much. I decided to slide the Z-axis screws higher in the flex coupling. They were spaced before but increasing the space there seems to have solved it. (At least for now)
October 03, 2014 02:51PM
Well I finally printed my first userful item from my Folger Prusa i3 kit. White Feet for my eiffel chair in my office.
Chair came with black ones, but does not go well with the white noodle rug.... So I printed white ones....

Good news bad news kinda thing...

I had to babysit the print because of the exturder issues i am having. one again extrusion would stop flowing, so i had to push the filament in a bit to get it started again,
the stepper motor was still warm even at 229mv for the VREF. The good news is i got it printed... the other good news is the feet stuck really well to the glass build plate
with Garnier Fructis (5) ... now it's cooling and hopefully the pieces will pop off... i just heard a crack behind me... and one just popped off... heard another crack...yup that one came off too...
this is pretty cool...

here is a picture of them while still on the build plate:

October 03, 2014 02:51PM
Well I finally printed my first userful item from my Folger Prusa i3 kit. White Feet for my eiffel chair in my office.
Chair came with black ones, but does not go well with the white noodle rug.... So I printed white ones....

Good news bad news kinda thing...

I had to babysit the print because of the exturder issues i am having. one again extrusion would stop flowing, so i had to push the filament in a bit to get it started again,
the stepper motor was still warm even at 229mv for the VREF. The good news is i got it printed... the other good news is the feet stuck really well to the glass build plate
with Garnier Fructis (5) ... now it's cooling and hopefully the pieces will pop off... i just heard a crack behind me... and one just popped off... heard another crack...yup that one came off too...
this is pretty cool...

here is a picture of them while still on the build plate, and in operation.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/03/2014 02:59PM by Waltermixx.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login