Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Folger Prusa i3 Kit from ebay

Posted by Waltermixx 
Re: Folger Prusa i3 Kit from ebay
November 29, 2014 10:49PM
I saw those. They look really good! For a vibration fix check these out. I ordered a set of these and they fixed my issues on my prusa i2.
[www.makergeeks.com]
November 30, 2014 01:30AM
Ok, printed a cube last night and it was a little out of whack. I moved the printe out of my basement and did some other stuff and ended up with tons of issues. eye rolling smiley Now running Ubuntu with pronterface and slic3r. I got what seemed to be a good print but it seems like the whole thing is reversed??? Not sure where to go with this. Take a look.

November 30, 2014 01:58AM
I've seen people have that same issue, I think they fixed it by inverting the x axis, in the marlin firmware.
November 30, 2014 01:48PM
I'll have to look for that in the config.h I guess. It is also kind of jaggidy on the Y axis. Like when it prints the raft, it looks like rope.
November 30, 2014 01:57PM
mikez104
I'll have to look for that in the config.h I guess. It is also kind of jaggidy on the Y axis. Like when it prints the raft, it looks like rope.
I'm not sure what you mean. Which part?
November 30, 2014 02:03PM
My X axis is nice and smooth but the Y axis is not. When the bed moves, it kind of jerks. Here is a pic of what I think should look smooth but actually looks like rope.

November 30, 2014 02:41PM
mikez104
My X axis is nice and smooth but the Y axis is not. When the bed moves, it kind of jerks. Here is a pic of what I think should look smooth but actually looks like rope.
im having the same problem, abliet much less profound. i have contacted folgertech about it, to see if it is a widespread problem. waiting on a reply.
November 30, 2014 02:58PM
i was getting mirrored prints along the x axis as well.. i have my x endstop on the right and y on the back..with xmotor being on the right.. ymotor on back..so the home point was 0,0 on the front right corner.. but after configuring marlin with my config .home is now 0,0 on the front left corner.. but homes to the max endstop. .. it does do a 5mm bounce as configured in Configuraitonadv.h . full graphics controller is also enabled on it as well. .as someone pointed out earlier as well. they were using pidtempbed? i dont have that enabled.. didnt know if this hardware worked for it.. but the bed heats up just fine without it..(pcb heatbed r1 dual power..)

also dont forget to switch the endstop connector on your ramps 1.4 board to the max.. from top to bottom it goes.. zmax zmin ymax ymin, xmax xmin..

and adjust your max movement if you wish i set it 185 so i wouldnt hit clips and m3 bolts

also another note.. it works as described from the lcd screen.. you may have to change thigns in repetier host.. i posted a picture
here is my config took me a few hours to figure it out as i didnt want to move my endstops..
Configuration.h
picture of repetier host printer settings

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/30/2014 03:01PM by amphiox.
November 30, 2014 03:36PM
btyder
mikez104
im having the same problem, abliet much less profound. i have contacted folgertech about it, to see if it is a widespread problem. waiting on a reply.
Try re leveling the print bed, it can be caused by a bed that isn't flat. Too much distance between the extruder and the bed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/30/2014 06:29PM by HairLikeFrodo.
November 30, 2014 04:43PM
mikez104
You need to level your bed and bring your nozzle closer to the bed.
November 30, 2014 08:29PM
amphiox
i was getting mirrored prints along the x axis as well.. i have my x endstop on the right and y on the back..with xmotor being on the right.. ymotor on back..so the home point was 0,0 on the front right corner.. but after configuring marlin with my config .home is now 0,0 on the front left corner.. but homes to the max endstop. .. it does do a 5mm bounce as configured in Configuraitonadv.h . full graphics controller is also enabled on it as well. .as someone pointed out earlier as well. they were using pidtempbed? i dont have that enabled.. didnt know if this hardware worked for it.. but the bed heats up just fine without it..(pcb heatbed r1 dual power..)

also dont forget to switch the endstop connector on your ramps 1.4 board to the max.. from top to bottom it goes.. zmax zmin ymax ymin, xmax xmin..

and adjust your max movement if you wish i set it 185 so i wouldnt hit clips and m3 bolts

also another note.. it works as described from the lcd screen.. you may have to change thigns in repetier host.. i posted a picture
here is my config took me a few hours to figure it out as i didnt want to move my endstops..
[attachment 44479 Configuration.h]
picture of repetier host printer settings
[attachment 44480 curainvertx.png]

Thanks! I will try, hat when I get back home. Had to drive to Philly for a meeting in the morning. sad smiley
November 30, 2014 08:32PM
louspinuso
mikez104

I'll tty again but that was right after I leveled it. And I've been having trouble with the head looking like it is too far from the bed. When I level it, I can just get a piece of paper under it then it seems too rise and print too high.
November 30, 2014 09:11PM
mikez104
louspinuso
mikez104

I'll tty again but that was right after I leveled it. And I've been having trouble with the head looking like it is too far from the bed. When I level it, I can just get a piece of paper under it then it seems too rise and print too high.
Are you checking the level at all four corners?
November 30, 2014 09:16PM
louspinuso
mikez104
louspinuso
Are you checking the level at all four" corners?

Yes. I've done it several times. The Y axis just seems not smooth. I don't know how else to describe it. When I disconnect the motor, it seems smooth. Its like there is no micro stepping but I have the jumpers installed.
November 30, 2014 10:36PM
mikez104
louspinuso
mikez104
louspinuso

Yes. I've done it several times. The Y axis just seems not smooth. I don't know how else to describe it. When I disconnect the motor, it seems smooth. Its like there is no micro stepping but I have the jumpers installed.
Maybe the stepper isn't getting enough power.
December 01, 2014 03:56PM
HairLikeFrodo
mikez104
louspinuso

Maybe the stepper isn't getting enough power.

Is there anyway you can share a video of the printer printing and the height of the printer head above the surface as it's printing?
December 01, 2014 04:22PM
Ok, so it's been a few weeks since I got the printer up and running. In that time I've had some failed prints and some succesful prints. I've written about the problems I've had with my original spool of ABS and it appears, now, that the problem was related to the consistency of the thickness of my filament. I hope to build a new extruder with a spring mounted bearing to press the filament into the gear more evenly and with just enough slack that the filament can push back when it's wider as well so that I can use the rest of that spool successfully, but that's probably going to be for a later day.

I did receive the natural ABS filament from Jet finally and tried printing a couple of things and had to slowly work my temperatures up to 250c before I got a good print. Once I hit that temp I haven't had a single problem printing. I've read that Natural ABS needs to be run hotter because there is nothing mixed into it that softens the material. I'm not sure if that's what actually does it, but I can assure you that it needs a hotter temperature to stick.

As for the printer itself, I can honestly say I'm very happy with it. It did take a while to setup and configure before I felt comfortable enough to start a print and ignore it, but now I've got it working nice. Here are some of the pros/cons of this printer:

Cons:
Acrylic frame is fragile, DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN YOUR NUTS!
everyone seems to have something small broken or missing from their kit.
Motors seem like they are just powerful enough
No directions (barely any)
probably not the greatest direct drive extruder

Pros:
it's a complete kit for under $350
they give you bearings for a spool feeder
lots of community support
has pretty good print resolution once you take the time to calibrate it
Probably not the worst direct drive extruder

Have I mentioned it's under $350? And definitely get a display!

Here's a picture of some of the Airtripper's Bowden Extruder parts I'm thinking of converting my extruder to that I printed in natural ABS at 250c. In case you're wondering what the printer is capable of (and this doesn't look nearly as good as Walter's alien gut buster)

December 01, 2014 06:38PM
louspinuso
Is there anyway you can share a video of the printer printing and the height of the printer head above the surface as it's printing?

I will give that a try tomorrow night when I get back home.
[Problem] Not moving on (+) positive axis
December 01, 2014 10:12PM
Does any body had this problem?, when I try to move it or any positive axis, it send me a message "echo:endstops hit: X:-0.10" depends what axis I'm trying to move, but my endstop is not press, also I notice a steady hum or continuous beep, like a tinnitus when I press to move it on positive axis, that only stops if I press the "Turn Motor off", I already invert the cables and Configuration.h and it does move the other way but always with the (-) negative axis, what makes me thing the motor and the cables are correct, I tried to move on and install the REPRAP_DISCOUNT_SMART_CONTROLLER to see if send me any error messages, and it does power on (blue screen) but it does not show information I will appreciate any information, thank you....
Re: [Problem] Not moving on (+) positive axis
December 01, 2014 10:20PM
juanmagmen
Does any body had this problem?, when I try to move it or any positive axis, it send me a message "echo:endstops hit: X:-0.10" depends what axis I'm trying to move, but my endstop is not press, also I notice a steady hum or continuous beep, like a tinnitus when I press to move it on positive axis, that only stops if I press the "Turn Motor off", I already invert the cables and Configuration.h and it does move the other way but always with the (-) negative axis, what makes me thing the motor and the cables are correct, I tried to move on and install the REPRAP_DISCOUNT_SMART_CONTROLLER to see if send me any error messages, and it does power on (blue screen) but it does not show information I will appreciate any information, thank you....

I had that same problem. Turned out to be that you need to home the motor first otherwise it doesn't know how far it has traveled. Be sure to have the end stop plugged into the right plug (max or min end stop) and that is set right in the configuration.h file.

And be ready to pull the plug if it thinks home is towards the side without the end stop. That high pitch sound either means too much power or not enough (I don't remember) check your vrefs and make sure they are set right and don't try to adjust them unless the motors are off. And are all the jumpers on the board? They need to be under the pololu boards.

As for the display, I posted back a bit the webpage that had the directions to follow to get that display working. You need to edit 2 files.

Good luck
Re: [Problem] Not moving on (+) positive axis
December 01, 2014 10:29PM
louspinuso
juanmagmen

I had that same problem. Turned out to be that you need to home the motor first otherwise it doesn't know how far it has traveled. Be sure to have the end stop plugged into the right plug (max or min end stop) and that is set right in the configuration.h file.

And be ready to pull the plug if it thinks home is towards the side without the end stop. That high pitch sound either means too much power or not enough (I don't remember) check your vrefs and make sure they are set right and don't try to adjust them unless the motors are off. And are all the jumpers on the board? They need to be under the pololu boards.

As for the display, I posted back a bit the webpage that had the directions to follow to get that display working. You need to edit 2 files.

Good luck

Yup, i did the same thing the first time and that was the exact fix for both issues. I did not home the axis before I tried to move it which makes it move only in the direction of the endstop. and my vref voltages were too high. The polulu boards come set to about .6V if I remember correctly and that's way too high.
December 02, 2014 02:53AM
Can somebody please share the dimensions and the weight of the package that Folger tech sends?
Thanks
December 02, 2014 04:05AM
I still have the package. I'll be able to tell you that when I'll be back home.

Collective intelligence emerges when a group of people work together effectively. Prusa i3 Folger (A lot of the parts are wrong, boring !)
December 02, 2014 08:45AM
I don't know the dimensions but I believe the shipping weight was18 lbs.
December 02, 2014 11:20AM
And the hits just keep on coming.

Not sure what's going on now, but when I print a tower my printer is "ribbing". I've heard that this can be caused by miscalculation in x steps or maybe z steps, but since I haven't seen this before in any of my models that are not just towers, I'm wondering if there is something special about tall skinny things that amplifies this effect. I'll post pictures later but if anyone has a good resource that explains what I should be looking at to resolve this, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks.
December 02, 2014 11:53AM
khnshkr
Can somebody please share the dimensions and the weight of the package that Folger tech sends?
Thanks

Mine was 18.5 X 18.5 X 6.5 inches. 17 pounds
December 02, 2014 12:07PM
Hey guys! I don't know if anyone has posted it, but I did a full review of the Folger Tech Prusa i3.

[www.youtube.com]

Enjoy!
December 02, 2014 12:18PM
djcdude95
Hey guys! I don't know if anyone has posted it, but I did a full review of the Folger Tech Prusa i3.

[www.youtube.com]

Enjoy!

Yup Watched it and enjoyed it smiling smiley
December 02, 2014 12:40PM
Easy
khnshkr
Thanks

Mine was 18.5 X 18.5 X 6.5 inches. 17 pounds

Thank you thumbs up
December 02, 2014 02:38PM
djcdude95

[www.youtube.com]

Enjoy!

Yeah, I watched it also! It's very good. I would to see more videos about it. You did a really nice job.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login